No. 61 Bulldozer?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
fundytides
440 crawler
440 crawler

No. 61 Bulldozer?

Post by fundytides » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:20 am

When I acquired my 40c, it had what I have always assumed was a No. 61 bulldozer on it. However, I recently decided to take a look at overhauling it in an attempt to get some of the slop out of the frames. As I started to investigate, I found some differences from what is shown in the parts sheets for the 61. The moldboard and boom look the same, although at some point, the cross braces were removed. The lifting frame looks the same as well. However, the side frames are what have me puzzled. The right lifting frame has a notch cut out of the back of it to clear the fender and the piston has been installed between this lifting frame and the main lifting frame. Is this correct? If so, what is the purpose of the boom hanger(s) which are shown in the diagram installed between the right lifting frame and the main, large lifting frame? The blade obviously could not be moved up or down with that solid link installed. Is my piston installed in the correct location?
have 40c 4 roller crawler, 1927 Ford T Touring car, 1931 Ford A Roadster, 1951 Standard Vanguard Saloon. Never a dull moment!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No. 61 Bulldozer?

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:44 am

Boom hanger is to hold the blade up so the cylinder can be used on a towed piece of equipment on a crawler without dual hyd.
Laovy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

fundytides
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by fundytides » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:52 pm

Thanks Lavoy. Never thought of that. I guess it is a 61 and just needs some TLC to take the slop out of the joints, line things up properly and perhaps weld in the X reinforcements.
have 40c 4 roller crawler, 1927 Ford T Touring car, 1931 Ford A Roadster, 1951 Standard Vanguard Saloon. Never a dull moment!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:00 pm

I might have missed something. Cylinder does not connect to dozer frame, there should be a cross shift that lifts on both sides at the same time. Frame will not tolerate lifting on just one side.
Lavoy

fundytides
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by fundytides » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:59 am

Lavoy. Thanks for the concern. If you can look at the parts sheet for the 61, the cylinder (don't think it's original) on mine is connected at the top to the Right Frame (J19422C) and at the bottom to the Lifting Frame (J19421C). The Lifting Frame is a complete assembly with arms on both sides connected by Yokes to both sides of the Boom so I think that is OK. The only 2 remaining concerns that I have are: (1) the cross bracing has been removed from the Boom which I think would affect the rigidity and (2) there is a notch roughly cut out of the Right Frame to clear the fender which leads me to think that whoever cobbled this all together didn't mount the right Frame in the correct location or maybe had to move it back to accommodate the cylinder that they used and maybe that doesn't matter as long as it works. I appreciate any comments or suggestions you have.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:06 am

MC60 blade has a notch out of the cylinder side bracket, maybe that is it.
Lavoy

fundytides
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by fundytides » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:01 am

Thanks again Lavoy. I took a look at the parts diagrams for the MC60 and my blade and Boom assembly are definitely the more rugged 61. The side bracket that the cylinder attaches to, I'm not so sure. The notch looks pretty rough cut so I think some parts have been made or modified by a previous owner. Think I'll just go over the whole assembly, line things up properly, install the proper bracing and replace or make any required bushings, sleeves, brackets, etc. I'll let you know if I run into any problems that stump me.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:04 am

Sounds good.
Lavoy