1958 John deere 420c track adjuster conversion possible?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

1958 John deere 420c track adjuster conversion possible?

Post by E.Huffman » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:24 am

Hi yall So on my 1958 420c loader crawler my track adjustment nuts and stud are corroded so bad that I can not adjust them. Is there any way to put hydraulic or 1010 style adjusters on it? I think I will have to replace them regardless just trying to decide what is feasible! Thanks!!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1958 John deere 420c track adjuster conversion possible?

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:50 pm

No, there won't be a spring behind the adjuster tube, so it would just be solid. Cut the nuts off, chase the threads, anti-seize them, I have never had an issue.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Buckhorn
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Buckhorn » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:09 pm

I know what your saying about the corroded adjustment nuts. I tried quite a few times over 6 months, and used all kinds of penetrant on the. I finally got them loose, but holding the adjustment nut with a pair of vise grips, and using an impact gun on the head of the bolt. I also made an 1 1/2 deep socket to fit down over the long threaded part. I decided to replace the nuts while I had them loosened, as they were pretty messed up. Removed the outer nut, and backed the inner on all the way back, and tried to remove the whole assembly with the spring. I couldn't quite get it out past the back bracket because the threaded part hung up in the hole on the bracket on the adjuster. (where the 2 nuts lock together) So I gave up and puts the nuts back, and readjusted it.
Two days later I was walking by and looked at it, and said what a dummy. All I had to do is remove the two 15/16 headed bolts holding the bracket on, and I was able to remove the the whole assembly to put on a bench to work on.
Sorry for the long post, but wanted to explain all the trouble that I had, because I didn't look for a different way to approach the problem.
Good luck

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:20 pm

Thankyou both! That helps a lot buckhorn! I will just try to unbolt it first! :)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:43 am

I should have said, cut the nuts off and put on new ones, sorry. I take the spring off just like Buckhorn said, much easier to work on them in the vise, and easier to split the nuts.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:18 am

Ok thank you I will do that! It looks nearly impossible to take them apart while on the machine..... Thanks again!

Buckhorn
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Buckhorn » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:13 am

I cut a socket and welded a section of pipe in the middle to create a deep socket to fit over the threaded end
of the long bolt. It was hard to get on the 1 1/2 nuts with the rock guards in the way. If you can get a wrench
on them, you can't turn much more than 1/8th of a turn.

RacinJason
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by RacinJason » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:43 pm

Hi Guys, Regarding adjusting, once you get the nuts turning, I made a tool to adjust them. I took a common box-end wrench, sold for trailer hitches and cut a section out of the 1 1/2" end, just large enough to slip over the threaded rod. The cut out section is on an angle, so you hook the longer part over the nut so it's pulling on the nut. Some day I'll get around to straightening the 15 degree angle with a torch. I use the small box end to hang the wrench on a hook, so it's always with the dozer. Better than an open end wrench, which can slip or round off the nut. IMHO
JD 112, JD 420 C

Buckhorn
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Buckhorn » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:53 pm

RacinJason wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:43 pm
Hi Guys, Regarding adjusting, once you get the nuts turning, I made a tool to adjust them. I took a common box-end wrench, sold for trailer hitches and cut a section out of the 1 1/2" end, just large enough to slip over the threaded rod. The cut out section is on an angle, so you hook the longer part over the nut so it's pulling on the nut. Some day I'll get around to straightening the 15 degree angle with a torch. I use the small box end to hang the wrench on a hook, so it's always with the dozer. Better than an open end wrench, which can slip or round off the nut. IMHO
Basically I believe what you made is a flarenut wrench like those used on brake lines etc. I thought of making one myself.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:48 pm

When I bought my machine, the adjusters were frozen too. Like others, I got them free using all my wits and resources. Once there, I lubed them well, making them hand adjustable, and double nutted them. The extra nut protects the threads adjacent to those doing the work, and are disposable if needed. Anyway, I’ve found that these extra nuts were’nt needed. I adjust my tracks annually after sugaring. The snow lubricates the pins and rolls causing slack. So a few turns on the adjusters brings everything up to snuff. That said, I back off the tensioning nuts a bit, add some grease, and then adjust. Grease is your friend here. Good luck. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:38 am

Thanks I will try to post my results when I get there! ( I gotta clean the shop before starting on it again) :oops: