1010 steering clutch diagnosis

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
fishingbucks
40C crawler
40C crawler

1010 steering clutch diagnosis

Post by fishingbucks » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:03 pm

Y’all have been very helpful so far. This barn find I have is looking to not be a lost cause. Engine is running great. Got everything lubed up and started trying it out. Everything worked great for about 5 minutes. After working steering clutches, the left one started acting up. The guy I got it from said it had an issue so I wasn’t surprised. When pulling back on left clutch it would stop the whole tractor until I let it go. I don’t see how that’s possible but all forward motion with both tracks would stop when pulling back on left clutch it at least that’s the way it felt. It did the same thing in reverse. I thought it might be the foot brake but I don’t think so. Also, when I first started the steering handles we’re in line with each other. Afterwards, the left clutch handle was a couple inches higher than the right and would not go back down. Any chance this is just an adjustment issue since both clutches worked correctly at first. Right clutch still works as it should. Any ideas?

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 1010 steering clutch diagnosis

Post by B Town » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:38 pm

Hello Sir,

The reason the crawler stops when you pull back on the left lever is b/c the right clutch is not working.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:30 pm

As B Town posted it certainly sounds like your right steering clutch is not working/slipping. When you pull the left clutch lever the left steering clutch disengages first (removing power from the track), then the brake applies to stop the left track as you pull the lever further back. At that time the right track should still be receiving power through the right steering clutch, which causes the crawler to turn left. The right side works the same.

Does the crawler turn right if you pull the right steering lever? If it does the left steering clutch is driving the left track. Try pushing against something you can't move in first gear and see if both tracks spin. I am guessing the right one won't spin. If both tracks stop either both steering clutches are slipping or the engine clutch is slipping.

1. Remove the covers (four capscrews hold each one) each side of the seat and look in the steering clutch compartments. The compartments should be dry. If there is oil or water in them that is the first problem. Those are dry clutches and brakes so running solvent in them is not a fix regardless of what some say.

2. While looking in the clutch compartments see if the throwout bearing on the right side is rusted in the disengaged position. That also would make the right steering clutch slip. See that both throwout bearings are moving the pressure plate fingers when the corresponding lever is pulled and that it come back to a "no pressure against the pressure plate fingers when released.

3. You can try doing a full adjustment of the steering clutches and brakes to see if the functions improve. Do it step by step in the order given in the manuals, either operator's or service. From your description I don't think it will solve your issue.

4. The foot brake operates both steering brakes to stop the crawler when the engine clutch is pushed (disengaged). If the steering brakes are adjusted properly and evenly, the foot brake will be good, unless someone screwed with the foot brake linkage in the past.

If you don't have Operator's and Service manuals for your machine contact Lavoy (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com or call him during central time business hours at the phone number on the homepage) and get them. The parts manual is optional. Some people like a hard copy and some use the on line parts catalogs. Your crawler parts catalog is PC727. Here is a link you can click to go to it: https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/nav ... VJUE1FTlRd.

I think you inside manual blade is a model 63 and here is a link to that parts catalog: https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/nav ... VJUE1FTlRd.

fishingbucks
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by fishingbucks » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:11 pm

Hmmm……interesting. I think I understand what you’re saying. I’ll keep stabbing at it. Thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:08 am

Handle staying up is an internal rust issue on some component, no adjustment will fix it, you need to find the source of the binding and repair it. Stopping motion when one clutch is pulled means the opposite clutch is shot or misadjusted, but much more likely shot.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com