440 low compression

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
smitty906
430 crawler
430 crawler

440 low compression

Post by smitty906 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:42 am

Just putting in a food plot, man these 440's will push a full blade full of brush , dirt, sticks , rocks ...whatever !
Just picked up this dozer a couple years ago , it was a mess but ran ok.
Compression on both cylinders was above 125 , so i figured the engine had been recently overhauled.
After running out of gas the exhaust tone sounded different and it was hard starting . Went on the back 40 to try and figure out the issue
last night pulled the sediment bowl and cleaned out little debris.
Checked rotor , cap and points all looked ok.
Then i pulled plugs they looked ok , rear plug appeared to have a minimal amount of oil on it . So i rolled over the engine with starter and #1
cyl blew my thumb out of plug hole with force # 2 cylinder just barely blew thumb out of plug hole.
I think I have found the issue but i only have maby 25 hours on this engine since performing the compression test . I am hoping it is just a valve adjustment , not sure how often valves need to be adjusted. I have been running unleaded gas but cant believe it would have tore up the seats this quickly.
I guess next step is to put some oil in cylinder and take a actual reading and go from there . I hope problem is in the upper half of engine as that seems less spendy .
But worse case i happen to have a rebuilt engine sitting in garage .
:D :D