New (to me) BO Lindeman

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
UnstyledB
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: New (to me) BO Lindeman

Post by UnstyledB » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:12 am

I have a question now about the Throttle Rod on the BO Lindeman. This is the rod that goes from the throttle lever to the Governor. On the ends of this lever there are some 3/8 pieces of rod inserted into the thicker bent sleeve. My question is, are these threaded into this sleeve? I need to turn the end that goes into the throttle lever 180 degrees because someone put the whole assembly on upside down sometime in the past. If it's not threaded I will heat it up and see if I can bend it back the other way.
Last edited by UnstyledB on Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:48 am

I believe they are threaded.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:03 am

The rod end you are referring to is available as a reproduction. So……if you can’t get it loosened up, no worries.

Best regards, Bruce

UnstyledB
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by UnstyledB » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:19 pm

Anyone know of a source for the TE41 or M1667T 14" track shoes?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:56 am

There are no new track pads available.
Lavoy

Keith-OR
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Keith-OR » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:56 pm

There are no new track pads available.
Lavoy

There are new pads available from the museum at Union Gap , WA, the press that made the original pads is still function able, every so often they press out new pads. Couple years ago I was at the tractor show there and they were running to press.. Quite interesting process.
I'll see if I can get some info for you. Union Gap is a couple of miles south of Yakima, WA, home of the Lindman.
Keith

UnstyledB
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by UnstyledB » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:55 pm

Keith-OR wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:56 pm

There are new pads available from the museum at Union Gap , WA, the press that made the original pads is still function able, every so often they press out new pads. Couple years ago I was at the tractor show there and they were running to press.. Quite interesting process.
I'll see if I can get some info for you. Union Gap is a couple of miles south of Yakima, WA, home of the Lindman.
Thank you I would appreciate that. With all the money I've spent so far might as well see if I can put new track pads on too. Mine are usable, but worn. I had Lavoy put new pins and bushings in one of my chains so the pads are off on that side already.

Saturday was a nice day and I got one of my final drives reinstalled. I have a new bearing on the way for the pinion shaft on the other side before I can put that final back on. My PTO shaft had quite a twist in it so I tore the back cover off expecting chipped and shattered gears but all shafts, gears, and bearings look just about new. I couldn't get a machine shop to untwist the shaft, everyone said it would 'neck' in the process, so I took a regular unstyled B PTO shaft and had it shortened. If it gets warm enough next week I'll see if I can get that back cover and shaft put back on.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:17 am

I question that there are any new pads available. As far as new pads, the only ones I ever know of were made by Ted Adams, and he used to make them at the show. He quit making them quite a few years ago, and shortly after sold the die that makes them to me.
Lavoy

UnstyledB
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by UnstyledB » Fri May 27, 2022 7:31 pm

I am putting the the track frames back together on my BO and I have a question about the idler brackets and shaft. The shaft has a groove on each end and the screw that goes through the idler bracket presumably engages this groove to keep the shaft from slipping to either side. My question is how tight should those set screws be? Should they be good and tight enough that the shaft can't turn at all, or just enough to keep it from sliding from side to side?

Thanks.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat May 28, 2022 8:37 am

They aren't snap ring grooves are they? Early MC had snap ring grooves on each end of the shaft.
Lavoy

UnstyledB
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by UnstyledB » Sat May 28, 2022 12:11 pm

Lavoy wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:37 am
They aren't snap ring grooves are they? Early MC had snap ring grooves on each end of the shaft.
Lavoy
I don't think they are snap ring gloves, but I am open to suggestions. On each end of the 1 1/2" diameter shaft there is a 3/8" wide, 3/16" radius groove around the shaft. This groove lines up with the 3/8" set screw that goes through the idler bracket. If they were snap ring grooves it would be a bear to get to them when assembling the idler wheel to the shaft and brackets. I'm just wondering if I should bear down on the set screw and get it as tight as possible or if snug is good enough. There is a 5/8" lock nut on the the set screw to hold it in place once tight.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat May 28, 2022 9:39 pm

If they are that deep, I would bet set screw. The jam nut also holds the dust cover on correct?

UnstyledB
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by UnstyledB » Sat May 28, 2022 10:11 pm

Lavoy wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 9:39 pm
If they are that deep, I would bet set screw. The jam nut also holds the dust cover on correct?
Correct.

UnstyledB
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by UnstyledB » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:13 pm

Hey everyone, I got my Lindeman running yesterday and took it out for a drive. The project took just 3 days short of 10 months.