Oil and oil recommendations

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
bscrawler
40C crawler
40C crawler

Oil and oil recommendations

Post by bscrawler » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:35 am

New to me 57 420c. Previous owner did a Full tear down and rebuild of the machine in the late 90s. All in all everything seems to operate well. No smoking when running no dripping or real leaking . So the big question that is asked time and time again what is everybody running for engine oil. Brand / weight . I’m going to Drop all the fluids and replace before I do much with it . I’m also planning on dropping all the gear lube anything Drive oriented and replacing .

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Oil and oil recommendations

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:03 am

Hi,

I buy my oil from Deere. So, Turf-Gard 10w30. Before that it was their Torq-Gard which was also 10w30 IIRC.

Mine is a 58 and was sold by my Uncle out of the family JD dealership new to a dairy farmer. Dad grabbed it when it was traded in 1966 for, I think, a Mannheim 820 with a loader. I wound up with it when Dad passed in 1995. Like the Energizer Bunny: Still Going.

Reverser uses Hy-Gard which also goes in the hydraulic tank. If you have a LH reverser lever. The RH lever reverser I think gets lube from the trans. And the trans and final drives use GL1 90w but I use GL5 and they don't mind the newer multi-grade.

Don't pour anything into the steering clutches. Some folks hear about Wet Clutches but the 420c taint a 350C.... Just to be sure you know these Old Girls have dry steering clutches.

And, Corn Head grease for the rollers once Track and Roller lube went away. Don't forget the special low pressure grease gun.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

bscrawler
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by bscrawler » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:11 am

The previous owner had passed away. So I was able to deal with his wife for the purchase very nice woman. As we finalize the purchase we walked the sawmill sheds and around the property grabbing up anything that was green metal because it all went to the machine . When I had returned to pick up the machine she had laid out to hand cranks a special grease gun with special fitting for the button greasing and assortment of other odds and ends in parts that she had found . I appreciate your response I’m excited to get into using my new crawler .

Buckhorn
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Buckhorn » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:47 am

I use fluids from Tractor Supply in both my 420C and 40U. The engine calls for 20 weight in the summer, and 10 weight in the winter. I used 30 weight in the 420 because it was all I could get at the time, oil pressure seems normal. Transmission calls for 90w, but I used 80W-90, and the same in the final drives. Hydraulics is 10W oil, I used AW32.
Pete

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:03 am

Stan Disbrow wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:03 am
Hi,

I buy my oil from Deere. So, Turf-Gard 10w30. Before that it was their Torq-Gard which was also 10w30 IIRC.

Mine is a 58 and was sold by my Uncle out of the family JD dealership new to a dairy farmer. Dad grabbed it when it was traded in 1966 for, I think, a Mannheim 820 with a loader. I wound up with it when Dad passed in 1995. Like the Energizer Bunny: Still Going.

Reverser uses Hy-Gard which also goes in the hydraulic tank. If you have a LH reverser lever. The RH lever reverser I think gets lube from the trans. And the trans and final drives use GL1 90w but I use GL5 and they don't mind the newer multi-grade.

Don't pour anything into the steering clutches. Some folks hear about Wet Clutches but the 420c taint a 350C.... Just to be sure you know these Old Girls have dry steering clutches.

And, Corn Head grease for the rollers once Track and Roller lube went away. Don't forget the special low pressure grease gun.

Stan

The right hand reverser has its own resovoir, so if you have one dont just put the oil in the transmision and think your good. there are seals between the revereser and transmission.

bscrawler
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by bscrawler » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:47 pm

Thanks for the heads up about the right hand reverser. This is exactly why I’ve joined JD crawlers . when you get With a good group of folks there more than happy to give you good advice , guidance and that’s what I’m looking for. My crawler has the right hand reverser on it . It works flawlessly right now .

yukonjack
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by yukonjack » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:40 pm

Stan Disbrow wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:03 am
I haven't been across the border for 17 months now, but Tractor Supply in Maine always had a product called "Ford Tractor Transmission Fluid", which according to the label is simply 90W mineral oil GL1. That's what I use in my 420c and the 2 speed rear axle of the Model T.

Jack Murray

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:11 am

bscrawler wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:47 pm
Thanks for the heads up about the right hand reverser. This is exactly why I’ve joined JD crawlers . when you get With a good group of folks there more than happy to give you good advice , guidance and that’s what I’m looking for. My crawler has the right hand reverser on it . It works flawlessly right now .
I have the right hand reverser and would be regretting it if I would not have rebuilt it! It is one of the handiest features on the machine!!! Enjoy! :D

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:26 pm

Hi I have a similarly aged 420. I run Rotella 15-40 in my engine. It probably could use a rebuild, but with this oil, I build good compression with no smoke or significant consumption, so I’m happy. I use 20w straight weight oil in my hydraulic system with good results. I don’t run in the winter much, so the denser viscosity has not been a problem for me.
I followed the manual when I first went through my machine including the kerosene engine flush. Made sense, and it seems to have served me well.
My biggest surprise when I bought my machine was the air cleaner. It was plugged solid with sludge. I cleaned it, added 30 w oil, and the engine breathed a sigh. It spit out carbon for a few days as it finally got enough air to run as designed.
Enjoy your project.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:21 pm

E.Huffman wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:03 am

The right hand reverser has its own resovoir, so if you have one dont just put the oil in the transmision and think your good. there are seals between the revereser and transmission.
You must be thinking of the other reverser. The gear type, with the lever to your right as you sit in the seat, I have never heard of or found a filler for it nor does the manual mention reverser oil.

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:27 pm

My gear type, 1956 420, gets oil from the transmission. No separate oil fill. If you ever work on it, put at least a cup or more of oil in it before final assembly with the transmission. If left dry, it won't get oil quick enough to prevent damage.
Last edited by gus on Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:24 am

Ray III wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:21 pm
E.Huffman wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:03 am

You must be thinking of the other reverser. The gear type, with the lever to your right as you sit in the seat, I have never heard of or found a filler for it nor does the manual mention reverser oil.
Yes You are right mine is a left hand reverser... Sorry... we have one of both. you are correct.I hate to think what my brain will be like when I get older... :oops: