Track Tensioner Spring Disassembly

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Track Tensioner Spring Disassembly

Post by hunter41mag » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:27 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know if track tensioner spring must be caged before removing the nuts or will the spring run out of tension before the nut is off the bolt? The manual only says it needs to be adjusted to 14 1/2", does not give any procedure for dissassembly or reassembly.

Don
Eastern PA
440IC

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:36 pm

If you can get the nut to turn, it will run get to maximum length before you run out of thread. The tough part is getting the nut to turn.
Lavoy

whybill
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by whybill » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:39 pm

Amen on getting the nut to turn. You might find it a good thing to soak them in blaster or some other type of penetrating oil for a few days. If you have time as I did I put it in the shop and give them a squirt every time i walked by the crawler for nearly 2 weeks. It was still a hard time to get them to turn but it did workl for me. The fun one is the inside one but it can be done.

Lots of luck
Bill
Bill 420c dozer 5 roller

N. E. Alabama
older is better just keep it greased

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:57 am

I was able to get the nuts off with my 1/2" impact gun but it took awhile till they finally broke loose.
My outer spring was still under tension when the inner nut was near the end of the retention bolt. So I took the track tension spring assembly to my work and put it in the press and than finished removing the nut. It is a good thing I did because the outer spring free on my setup is about 1 to 2 inches longer than the retention bolt. It probably would not have been real bad but I do not like those type of surprises. The parts look like the stock spring, retention bolt and end caps. If anyone else takes theirs apart make sure to use caution if the outer spring is not loose when the nut is near the end of the retention bolt.

Don
Eastern PA
440IC

whybill
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by whybill » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:51 pm

Don, I am not sure but on my 420 the springs were fully relaxed well before the thread ran out. I would wonder if sometime in the past if some one might have replaced the spring with a longer one trying to get more tension......something there just dosen't sound correct tto me... maybe Lavoy would be able to tell you the correct relaxed or untensioned legnty should be but I suspect that the shorter one is the correct spring.

Bill
Bill 420c dozer 5 roller

N. E. Alabama
older is better just keep it greased

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:08 am

I guess that I should have specified what model I am working on, its a 1960 440IC. This uses a single track spring tensioner located in front of the sprocket above track carrier and I believe earlier models had double track tensioner springs located on sides of track carrier behind front idler.

Don
Eastern PA
440IC

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:39 am

Don,
I think I forgot that as well, for some reason I thought 420 when I answered you. Not sure what the best way is on a 440 other than what you did. I suppose if you put it together with a new bolt, you could use a longer bolt, and then cut it off.
Lavoy