John Deere 420c steering clutch slipping issues

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

John Deere 420c steering clutch slipping issues

Post by E.Huffman » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:23 am

My 420c steering clutch is slipping on me, and here is what i did. this summer I had to rebuild the left clutch due to a bad oil seal and the right side needed a pressure plate adjustment but it did steer ok. well I got the left side back together with all new discs and fibres and it works beautiful{may need to do minor adjusting once its out in the dirt) however I put the right side back together after putting a new oil seal in as well as adjusting the pressure plate to jd-7 gauge specs, i get it all back to gether and the right side just slips No matter how much I adjust the bolt on the throw out bearing. i put all the same parts back just like they were before so I am puzzled why It wont work now. any help and advice is heartily welcomed!!!!

Buckhorn
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: John Deere 420c steering clutch slipping issues

Post by Buckhorn » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:17 pm

I think that bolt is to adjust the throw out bearing carrier out to the pressure plate fingers.
If you move it all the way in, there shouldn't be any pressure against the fingers. If it's not touching
the fingers and it still slipping, maybe the clutch plates didn't get assembled correctly, or you didn't
use the correct part of the JD-7 gauge to set the fingers. Just guessing, as it's hard to troubleshoot
without looking at it. It worked before, so it should work again.

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:43 pm

I know that i used the correct part of the jd 7 gauge but i am not sure what else it could be..... I assembled the disc just like they came out.....

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:49 pm

Pressure plate is shot.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:18 pm

It looks like the pressure plate is almost brand new but it could be an issue. how much can a fibre disk be worn down and still work? Over all width on the old set vs new set difference is almost the thickness of 2 fibre disks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:12 pm

Than you have some serious issues, that much wear is really not possible. That would be .325 or so difference, no way to get that much wear. Unless I am just not understanding what you are saying.
Did you replace the discs in the clutch with new? If you put in new discs, did you adjust the pressure plate with the clutch gauge? If so, and you have adequate freeplay, only possibility left is the pressure plate.
Lavoy

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:07 pm

No I did not rebuild this side I only adjusted the pressure plate and put an oil seal in. I did take all the discs and fibers out to see what they looked like but they looked ok so I put them back in. It must be the pressure plate, I just don't know why it worked and now it doesnt. But if you think thats the only possability then I will just replace it! Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions!!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:54 am

Lavoy may have a different thought on this but the way I read the bulletin is the gauge was intended for adjustment after replacing components. If it was adjusted when the clutch pack is originally assembled that adjustment should be good for the life of the components. I am thinking you should have skipped adjusting the fingers with the amount of wear you say that clutch pack has. Did you clean the discs with anything that could have contaminated them? If the only change was adjusting the fingers, my thought is that is the problem.
Jim

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:22 am

Well the reason I adjusted it is because it was slipping some on that side when I went to turn. No contaminates that I know of..

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:12 am

Other than an odd situation, Jim is correct. When installing new clutch components including a new pressure plate, the pressure plate needs to be adjusted.
Lavoy

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:56 pm

ok so that means I need to adjust it back to where it was or a little farther. Hmm that will be hard to guess how far to adjust.. thanks you are probably right though!

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:12 pm

If it was slipping before the adjustment and is slipping after adjustment I would consider replacing everything while you have it apart. Then you know everything is new and is going to work a long time. Just my thoughts on it

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:55 am

What Tim said.
Lavoy

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:38 am

Thats What I am aiming for I guess. Just takes dollars! :lol:

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:31 pm

Ok Folks so I reused the almost new pressure plate when put the right steering clutch back together... Every thing is brand new except the almost new pressure plate. Both steering clutch pressure plates are adjusted the same and also the clutch plate and through out bear are the same distance apart. What I find to be puzzling is it worked almost perfect right away but less than 5 hrs later is is lugging like the brake band is too tight.. both sides are adjusted identical. any ideas? Thanks!