Connecting the tracks together

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Connecting the tracks together

Post by Swanybawanie » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:15 pm

got the master pins, they are right at 1 inch in diameter and with a groove for a clip just as they are recommended, I put them in, I was expecting for a tight fit but it has some slop to it like a quarter of an inch or more, is there suppose to be a sleeve or something for the track holes? yes there is a sleeve that goes directly behind the holes and that has some play to it but the holes themselves are oversize. Is this normal? I don't have my dozer books with me for they are over at the other house about an hour away..

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Connecting the tracks together

Post by Jim B » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:05 pm

Actually measure the pin hole in the chain rail, the dimension might reveal a clue. I wonder if some one has put 350 chains on your 440IC, those pins are larger OD. Are there any signs of welding on the sprockets?

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:13 pm

the gaps are not as large as I stated, I didn't put it all together the first time and gave a wrong measurement by a mile, sorry for the mistake, it is more like .050 thousands to .100 thousands play with the Pin inside the bushing. Yes there are some weld tacks on both sides of the track hole where the pins are inserted. is it ok for that amount of play in the bushing? should I put it together and have the ends or one end tacked with a welder?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:18 am

Play in the bushings is the internal wear and will exist in every pin/bushing interface of the chain. Your concern in installing the master pin is more fit in the chain link pin boss, as they should be a slight interference fit. What is the clearance between the pin and the hole it goes into of the chain link, not the bushing? You say there are tack welds on both sides of the pin hole which says to me the pins were loose before and welded to hold them. You will likely need to do the same this time, unless you change the link (likely NLA) to get holes the correct size for your pin. You have to convert to 350 chains and sprockets if you replace the chains. The 350 chains have a pin diameter about an 1/8" larger. That is why I asked about welds on your sprockets, not chains, after reading your original post the hole clearance sounded like you might have 350 chains, as I read your post. Part of converting to 350 chains is the 440 sprockets have to be re-rimmed with 350 sprocket teeth to match the 350 chain. You would have circumferential welds around the sprocket where the 350 rims were welded to the 440 centers. Thus the hole diameter in the link is key, not clearance in the bushing, as I look at it.

A key measurement of chain wear is made by stretching the chain and measuring across four pins to determine the internal wear of the pins and bushings. There are specs for the measurements obtained that relate to percent worn for established by manufacturers for the different chains their machines used. Here is a link to understanding undercarriage document that Stan Disbrow (Thanks, Stan) posted on the FAQ Board, it is a good read and explains a lot especially about understanding and determining wear. It is a Dresser document, but the info is common across most undercarriages. HTH
Jim

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... =2&t=10123

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:55 am

I will get my calipers to measure the hole diameters from my other place where we are staying and check and see if the sprockets has welds. Thanks Mr. Bonn…

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:24 am

I have observed the photos of the 440IC sprocket and don’t see welding of any kind, it looks like a solid sprocket. What type of a fit does the master pin require when inserted to the link? Slip fit? Press fit?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:47 am

Master pin is a light press fit, hammer will do it easily. If the hole is oversize, it is due to the pin turning slightly in the hole.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com