Steering and clutch linkage

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Steering and clutch linkage

Post by Swanybawanie » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:22 am

Hello friends,
Got the master pins welded and now noticed something in the steering on the right side, when the steering is pulled on the right the brake is activated, opened the top square cover it looks like someone drilled a hole through the linkage and put a cotter pin through the link to join both the clutch and brake. Anyone heard of this? Did something break that they had to do this? Or a safety feature? I can only steer with the left clutch.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Steering and clutch linkage

Post by Jim B » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:15 am

I can't see it being a safety feature. Without being able to see it, saying why/what has taken place is hard. I suggest you open the left side and compare everything you see in both. Remove the cotter pin and see what happens. The brake has to actuate when you pull the steering lever, but that should not happen until the lever has stroked enough to release the steering clutch. Has the bolt that sets the brake application point been broken off? It might be as simple as someone may not have known how to do a proper adjustment, or there may be something broken or frozen which will need a teardown. Study the left side and the manual and see what you spot.

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:58 am

I will try that Mr. Bonn, will let you all know what the situation is, to be continue.

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:44 pm

I Checked the linkage closer, there is a spot in the center of the linkage what appears to be is a drilled spot about a quarter of an inch deep, cleaned the area real good to get a good look, there isn’t a cotter pin there where I thought, just a drilled spot. Tried to clean out the grooves and fasten a small pipe wrench to wiggle the linkage loose, tapped all around with a 3 pound hammer and a punch, still wouldn’t budge. Thinking why a drilled spot? Did someone try to drill through just through the top to maybe have a spot to apply oil to loose the linkage?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:11 am

If I am understanding you correctly, that is a common thing I have seen. People drill the hole to get lubricant down in the slot to loosen up the arm.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:36 am

It seems to be stuck real good, sounds like the journal comes out and get that arm loosened up, any advise before I tackle this job?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:43 am

You can soak it in your favorite weasel piss for a while and see if it loosens up. If not, then final drive is coming off unfortunately.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com