need help with my 40 steering

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
kevencyr
430 crawler
430 crawler

need help with my 40 steering

Post by kevencyr » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:52 pm

so i got this 40, everything was working great until one day, the left hand side was not turning anymore, i already installed a new set of clutch and pusher plate about a year ago. decided to replace the clutch and the pusher plate with some good one for testing. crawler work for about 10 minute and then again, not turning to the left. took everything apart again for the third time and when deeper, i notice the location where the 3 ball bearing are behind thrust bearing marked( there is some dent on top of the hole where the ball goes i guess. also the plate between the clutch are pitted but cleaned. was still working before. so i have no clue what to do anymore, any suggestions

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: need help with my 40 steering

Post by Jim B » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:53 pm

Sounds like your right side steering clutch may be bad. When you pull the left lever to turn left it disengages the left side clutch, so the left side stops driving (in fact you stop it when you pull further back and apply the brake for a quicker turn). The right side continues to drive when the left lever is pulled, which makes the crawler turn to the left. Does it turn right ok? The left side clutch is driving if it turns right ok. Drive it up against a rock or tree it can't push and try pushing in 1st gear. Both tracks should spin. I am guessing the right one won't. It may be contaminated with oil, so cold it works some but slips more as it warms up.