1010 gas crawler loader leaking coolant

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
GeoJesse
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010 gas crawler loader leaking coolant

Post by GeoJesse » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:47 am

First submittal to board. I recently bought a gas 1010 crawler loader. While operating it seemed like it was getting hot and was going to let it idle a bit and then shut er down. Unfortunately while backing up a rock went into the chain and threw a track off the drive sprocket. When I heard a bang from the track coming off I shut the machine down immediately to look and see what happened, no cool down at all (terrible). When I got down to look at the track there was a lot of coolant leaking out from under the motor and draining from stump pan. The obvious rad hoses were checked and looked around the fan with no sign of leak. Filled the rad with water and it also leaked out. The motor runs great so I don't think it is a major crack in the block or anything. Seems like it is coming from under the motor or oil pan area but hard to see. Did I blow a frost plug or perhaps block heater? I am going to have a better look next week but just wondering if anyone has advise of where to start?

Thanks

GeoJesse
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 1010 gas crawler loader leaking coolant

Post by GeoJesse » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:21 am

Sorry, second issue is that when I took out the relief screw for the track tensioner with tension on the front idler no grease came out. Is there a metal ball inside or perhaps the tensioner is seized a little? I think I will try again by just removing the grease nipple.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:58 am

Hard to say on the coolant leak, hands and eyes on the machine is the only way to confirm where it is.

The track adjuster is not spring loaded to retract. You are going to have to force it back. Don't loose the ball that is under the set screw.

GeoJesse
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by GeoJesse » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:20 am

I think i will have to pull of some of the cowling and maybe a stump pan if possible. Then I can actually get under it to see where the leak is coming from. I just found it wierd that throwing the track and the coolant leak occured at the same time. Must have been due to the immediate shut down while hot? if that is possible.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:09 am

A little more info as to what you had done prior may help point to issue involved..
Did you happen to change fluids? as in radiator? I had issue with my 440ic when i blew a fan blade and had radiator repaired...when i installed it and refilled it...it actually got air locked and fortunately i had left off the overflow tube so was able to see where my issue was, i was able to catch fluid as it ran out and just kept putting back in...after about 3 times the air lock quit. Eliminate simple things first!!

GeoJesse
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by GeoJesse » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:59 am

Found the leak, cracked rad in upper rt hand corner near frame of rad. Was leaking down along outer edge of rad. Now when it gets hot it leaks and easily identified problem area. Any replacement rads availible? Are there other models that the rads can be swapped?

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:01 pm

Not sure on a 1010...a buddy had a 2010 that he ruined the radiator pushing firewood blocks right into it..tanks and all..we were able to obtain a diesel radiator..but had to actually raise the hard nose for clearance issues, think we raised it about 3/4 inch. been over a year and works fine.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:21 pm

No radiators available, you will have to take yours to a rad shop and have it repaired.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

fundytides
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by fundytides » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:26 pm

It would be helpful to know where you are located. There are rad shops in various areas that do a lot of work on vintage radiators and if needed can often build you a new one. Maybe you could add your location to your info.
have 40c 4 roller crawler, 1927 Ford T Touring car, 1931 Ford A Roadster, 1951 Standard Vanguard Saloon. Never a dull moment!

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:50 pm

Rhetorical question: Why is it that problems always seem to happen in multiples at the same time making it harder to identify causes and find correct solutions?
Anyway, I agree, it’s helpful to know your location. I have a few great resources in the Central Vermont region for electrical or coolant system repair needs. I’m sure others do in their areas too. Let me know if you’re in this area.
Good luck. It sounds like you’ve compartmentalized your frustrators.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch