Steering throw-out bearing

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: Steering throw-out bearing

Post by Swanybawanie » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:12 pm

The bearing carrier only turns back and forth on the tube about one quarter of a turn, been trying to get it to turn more, the tube maybe have a dent or something..

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:42 pm

If the carrier won't move in the cam, it could not be adjusted, as you found. It should move easily inside the cam. Loosening (even totally remove) the capscrew in the slot of cam should let the carrier be removed from the cam. There should be a stud about 180 degrees from that capscrew which just acts as a guide in the second slot of the cam and should not hold it coming out of the carrier. That must be rusted severely. If the capscrew was too long it may have cut into the tube.

If you want. A couple good pictures might let someone spot something out of place. Did you get set up so you can post pictures here? If not, I think you have my email from past correspondence. If you send me a couple pictures of where you are at with it, I'll see if I can spot anything and if not, I'll post them so others can review them.

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:18 pm

I will get some pictures tomorrow, I do notice the difference between my cam and the cam on the video and some that I found on E bay, mine has ridges, kind of hollowed out, the video and eBay’s has a canister look, guess that is a different style..

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:43 am

Swanny,
I actually have 2 sets..spares, of these setting in front of me...believe the cam you are talking about has 3 concave receptacles where the balls reside, that piece has the 2 slots where the carrier for the throwout bearing ...this carrier has the pin or stud that rides in the second slot and the locking bolt rides in the first slot...mounted so that it orients at top is mounted at top for access and adjustment, my carrier tube is not with these units.

The only thing that holds these 2 together is the locking bolt..once that is removed they should slide apart. There is either damage to the carrier tube itself or the unit is extremely rusted in place or some debri is involved. do you have a slide hammer to use? if so i would use it judiciously and move the locking bolt unit back and forth until they slide apart.

ALSO, remember that it is removed with a twisting motion that turns to the right as the pin or stud follows the slot.....

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:58 am

OK, so I guess I am completely confused. If the throwout bearing holder will slide on the throwout tube, you take the 4 springs off, unbolt the linkage piece and pull it straight off, that's all there is to it. If it won't come off, it is stuck on the tube, there is nothing else that can hold it.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:12 am

I am having some metal plugs turned down on a lathe to the same diameter as the tube, the plugs will be rested against the tube and will have the pulley pull the cam out, those plugs will go through the tube for more clearance while the cam comes out.

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:38 pm

Finally got both the cam and bearing carrier out, the plug did the job with a cam puller, now to clean up and get the thing working again,

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:46 pm

The pulley also pulled the tube out, the tube can go in like a snug fit, not a press fit, can the tube be like this? Or does it have to be fixed solid in the shaft?

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:37 pm

Swanny,
if i recall correctly, when i installed my new tube i carefully, with a block of wood tapped it in.with a hammer.been running now for the past 3 or 4 years i think.
i know i did NOT press it in..

also, was the problem simply rust????

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:46 pm

The problem was a warped tube, I sanded the tube smooth and filed down high spots with a new file and it slides good in the Cam, the one side of the tube is the side that was pressed in, the other side is bigger probably the normal size, How about pressing that other side in? The ball bearings and inserts looks very good.
Don

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:58 pm

Swanny,
somewhere in our posts it was mentioned that some of the auto exhaust pipes are the same diameter and were used to make the carrier tube...i had actually drilled clean thru mine and it still was working..my major problem was that the brake band had actually broken in 2 pieces so ended up having to take final off.
i would rather put in new piece than have to tear down again

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:07 pm

Is the quill hard to take off?

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:07 pm

i am not even sure just what or where the quill is.

seems to me that the piece with the 3 concave areas was the last piece to come off of the tranny.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:58 pm

Exhaust tube does not work, it needs to be perfectly round and is a specific size, exhaust tube is too small on the OD.
Yes the quill is difficult to take out, but not sure why you want to take it out.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:29 pm

The reason for taking the quill out would be for pressing the sleeve or tube into the quill, when I used the pulley to pull out the cam and bearing carrier it pulled the tube out also.