Steering throw-out bearing

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Steering throw-out bearing

Post by Swanybawanie » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:12 am

I have the final out, I had the steering linkage heated up and loosened, got a new throw-out bearing, getting ready to put it back together, read in the manual about the throw-out bearing cap screw adjustment, it says “to slide throw-out bearing outward to contact clutch fingers” how do you (slide) out the throw-out bearing? Depress the foot brake? This setup is done when the final is put back in there to adjust, I depressed the foot brake and didn’t see the throw-out bearing come out, I’m just trying to figure out the “slide” out the throw-out bearing. The steering linkage is not put back yet, I’m have someone loosen the round nut on the brake bands, I’m trying to get familiar with everything before the final goes back in..

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Steering throw-out bearing

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:12 pm

Youactually do the bearing adjustment after the assembly is complete.....
first question....have you replaced the clutches? if so have you used the gauge for adjusting the pressure plate?
there are several steps to doing adjustments....
first step if pulling the steering arm back about 1' to 1 1/2" from the full forward position...measured at the floor from the rest location.
you then loosen the lock bolt on the throwout bearing and position it at the fingers touching the clutch.....then lock the lock bolt down.
also steps required to adjust the brakes...
all this should be listed in your manual

if you have new clutches, chances are your bearing bolts will be seated right at the edge of the groove.

Believe the "round nut" is actually a flat head screwdriver driven that does the adjustment of the brakes, is really hard to see in that area

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:41 pm

The throw out bearing isn’t coming forward when lever is pulled, it isn’t depressing the clutch, the throw out bearing carrier is not coming out with the thrust bearing, does the cam do the job pushing out the bearing?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:50 pm

When you pull the lever, the cam it turns, is supposed to ride out on the balls and inserts (which act like ramps) located between the cam and the quill. With the cam fully back into the quill (balls centered in the cup of the inserts, you loosen the capscrew that is in the slot of the carrier and move the carrier out, by hand (bar, long screwdriver if needed), to touch the pressure plate fingers. Then you tighten the capscrew in the carrier slot to hold it there. Doing that should make it so it compresses the fingers of the pressure plate when you pull back on the lever, which makes the cam move outward on the balls and inserts disengaging the clutch. If the balls and inserts are worn or missing, it won't work properly. The throwout should be tight and stay on the carrier. Does this help?
Jim

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:36 am

Does the bearing carrier move forward bringing the bearing against the clutch plate? the cam swerves forward about a quarter of an inch when the lever is pulled, the tightened bolt pulls the bearing carrier forward against the clutch? Once I thought the cam itself presses the bearing forward..

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:36 am

Does the bearing carrier move forward bringing the bearing against the clutch plate? the cam swerves forward about a quarter of an inch when the lever is pulled, the tightened bolt pulls the bearing carrier forward against the clutch? Once I thought the cam itself presses the bearing forward..

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:44 am

Swany,
take a small block of wood, like a 2x4 , which is 1 1/2 inches thick....=1x1 1/2..and place it under the steering lever at the floor.
Loosen the throwout bearing locking bolt and move it until it touches the fingers...if the locking bolt is past the slot you will have to move it back a hair to be a be able to lock it in place......now the rest of the procedure requires you to adjust the brakes to where they apply just prior the the clutch being able to disengage. also the brake bands need to be adjusted properly as well as instructed in your manual....that adjustment is done with a flat screwdriver in the slotted head of the adjustment screw.

you will need a long screw driver to reach the throwout bearing to move it to touching the forks/fingers

you may have to adjust several times after testing each time..

i will be watching off and on today..let us know how going....

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:10 am

I took the final out again, so I can see what’s involved.

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:14 am

I wasn’t fully satisfied with the clutch mechanism before I put the final back in, so I took it back off, to inspect everything surrounding the quill, the cam, and the bearing carrier..

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:29 am

I want to watch how the whole clutch mechanism works with the final off..

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:47 am

Just to let you all know, the bearing carrier doesn’t move at all that I know off, I don’t know if it’s suppose to move or not, it would seem that it should move forward against the fingers to release the clutch plates when the cam turns.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:14 am

It sounds like there is something missing or out of place with the inserts and balls located between the quill and cam. This video It is a MC but the parts and theory are the same, so it may help (thanks to Bill, aka PossumFarms for the video). When you pull on the lever the cam should ride up on the balls as they try to come out of the inserts. As the balls ride up, the cam is pushed out moving the throw out bearing carrier into the pressure plate fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zdy636 ... V&index=43

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:49 am

Swanny,

the carrier tube does NOT move at all..if i recall it must be clean so that the bearing moves freely on it, cannot recall if even gets oil on it as i don't recall the t/o bearing even getting greased as i believe it is sealed bearing.

I did my adjustments and testing with the machine raised up off the floor and tracks free, which i assume is the position that your machine is.

have you been able to get the t/o to touch the fingers and where is the lock bolt in relation to the slot? get the 1 1/2 block under the lever and loosen the lock bolt and position bearing to touching fingers......do nothing else until you advise us what that reveals as to location of fingers and the slot ....can then help determine what is happening.

By the way....happy birthday to you!!!!

Buckhorn
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Buckhorn » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:44 am

While you have the FD out, make sure the linkage is still attached to the cam. When the lever is pulled the linkage rotates the cam. Behind the cam are the balls that push the carrier and attached bearing towards the clutch fingers. When the cam is rotated, the balls come out of their sockets, acting as a cam.
I hope I didn't confuse you more.

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:33 pm

I would like to take the cam off and check it further, is it difficult to take off on a 1959 440ic dozer?