40c idler wheels

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
AllenS
430 crawler
430 crawler

40c idler wheels

Post by AllenS » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:45 am

I have a grease fitting on the right idler wheel, but not on the left side. I tapped the left side and put in a grease fitting but it won't take any grease. What's up with that?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 40c idler wheels

Post by Lavoy » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:57 am

Did you check on the inside? If the idler shaft has been installed with the zerk hole facing in, you don't see it on the outside.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

AllenS
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by AllenS » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:20 am

I just checked and you are correct, Lavoy, there it was. It took grease, so all is well.

jd450cdozer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jd450cdozer » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:00 pm

My 450c dozer has a zerk fitting on the outside of the drivers side idler wheel but the passenger side idler wheel has no zerk fitting and there is no place for one to thread in on either the outside or inside of track. I thought there was a hex that I could use to take out the 2' round flush plug but then I cleaned it out there was nothing but a cone shaped hole going in. On top of the idler wheel bracket there is another hole that has no threads and goes down toward the shaft that is filled with dirt. Both outside and inside the track are the same on the passenger side. Like I said the drivers side has a zerk fitting but only on the outside of the track.

This was the only thread that spoke about the missing idler grease fittings that I could find. Has anyone run across this? Do I need to push a non threaded zerk fitting into the hole on top?

Thanks.

jd450cdozer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jd450cdozer » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:11 pm

I have the manuals and there is no oil level check plug or fill plug as shown in illustration. There is "1200" raised in the cast iron.

jd450cdozer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jd450cdozer » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:17 pm

Here are 3 images of the idler wheel:

Image[/img]

ooppss looks like I cannot upload images.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:13 pm

You can rad all about the "Dedicated PicServer Instructions" on the bottom forum marked Q&A once you have logged in to the crawler site..

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:40 pm

Pictures have to be posted using a third-party hosting site. The site has a dedicated picture server you can read about on the Messageboard Q&A and Announcements Board you will see at the bottom of the list on the Board index page. Imgur and Postimage are a couple other third-party sites.

If there are no plugs in an idler shaft and bracket, it may well be a newer sealed one. There should actually be two plugs on the outside of each idler if it is to be checked and lubricant added if needed. The check and fill info should be in your Operator's Manual. The hole in the center of the shaft is to add lubricant to the cavity. The one in the idler bracket, above the shaft, is the level plug hole. Ideally the only time there should be a zerk in the shaft is during filling, other than that the holes should have plugs in them. The shaft plug looks like a bolt head and the fill hole can be a square head one. However, zerks don't always get removed. My 450E has the zerks in the vent hole, I haven't bought plugs to remove them as the vent holes are more protected than having the zerk in the end of the shaft.

While related, the 40C idlers are not like the 450C, the lubricants and service methods are different. Your 450C question should be on the Late Models Board and Lavoy may move it over there when he sees it. There are some fellows on that Board that do more with the newer machines like yours, so starting a new post of your own for things like this would be a good idea in the future.
Jim