JD 440 icd Crawler engine stuck?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
frozen dozer
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD 440 icd Crawler engine stuck?

Post by frozen dozer » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:58 pm

I found an old jd 400 icd that has been sitting for a long time in the frigid weather in the Yukon Territory. It appears to be weather seized and I am about to take the exhaust manifold off with the intention of squirting some atf in thru the ports. The machine has a circulating block heater and its been plugged in overnight so the engine is warm.

I had an experience with a 440 icd dozer that had a rotor vain in the blower cracked cause or ice and it interfered with the motor cranking over completely, so I will check this out after i try the atf trick.

Can anyone think of anything else i should try? The guy i got it from says that the engine was working when he had it parked.

Thanks all

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 440 icd Crawler engine stuck?

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:57 am

Am not sure just how it will work with diesel, but my2 cyl 40s was locked up...gas...i pulled plugs and actually disconnected piston rods enough to check that crank turned...then reset crank to touching rods...suspect that number one piston rusted in place as exhaust valve usually stops in open position...you can check both to determine just which is open, then put direct air into that cylinder from compressor...run up to 120psi or book cylinder pressure....then you manually move the intake and exhaust valves with hammer and wood block...this actually vibrates the lube down around the rings to loosen cylinder...

advise results

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:31 pm

Injectors can stick closed on a Detroit. Pull the valve cover and see if the injector plunger can be pushed down, along with moving the fuel rack. Plenty of Fluid Film gets these unstuck for us. Whenever we get a Detroit in that we haven’t seen running with do this, plus put a set of large vice grips on the fuel rack in case it sticks on first fire up.

Best to check the blower like you mentioned. These are very hard to get.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

frozen dozer
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by frozen dozer » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:00 pm

Well Folks

I am happy to announce that I got this engine unstuck. liberal amounts of ATF, weeks of waiting (it was in the -30 to -50c range) due to cold weather, removal of the blower, which was iced up, the rad and hydraulic pump, which let me get to the bolt on the front of the crank shaft to put a socket on and snipe and it eventually moved. The addition of heat made sure that any water inside the engine was not frozen. At first it moved a little bit one way and then move it the opposite way. I think I might have put too much atf in it as it appeared to hydro lock, however by backing it off some it was able to leak out in the airbox.

I was about to give up and remove the engine, which at this stage I sure didn't want to. moral of the storey is don't give up