Low Pressure Grease Guns

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Low Pressure Grease Guns

Post by wwattson » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:46 am

I've seen a number of posting on the proper type of grease gun to use when lubricating track roller. The old JD5816 gun, that I believe is the low pressure gun that was supplied with the crawlers, is impossible to find. What are your thoughts on this low pressure, high volume gun from McMaster-Carr or something like it (other than the high price)?

Heavy Duty High-Volume Lever-Action Grease Gun

Designed with a toggle mechanism that provides high-volume pumping with little effort. Gun delivers 1 oz. of grease per nine strokes at a maximum pressure of 3000 psi. Fill in one of three ways: by bulk loading, by suction, or with a 14-14.5 oz. grease cartridge. Bulk and suction load capacities are 21 oz.

Gun barrel is powder-coated steel; cap head is cast iron. The cap head allows access to the check valve for cleaning without disassembling the gun. Includes a 6" angled rigid nozzle extension with 360° swivel tip for getting into tight spaces, coupler, filler nipple, and 1/8" NPT female connection for nozzle extension attachments. 1048K3 Each $107.41
Bill Wattson

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:10 am

I think 3000PSI is still too much pressure. I have one of the old high volume guns, and the piston is like 1/2" or more in diameter. I doubt it will do anything close to the 3000PSI, the lever is hard to push when it isn't on a zerk, let alone when it is. That being said, the lower the pressure gun you get the better. Until I found this one, I was using a pistol grip gun. I think they are still rated 4000 or better, but if you are careful you can feel the resistance when the roller gets full.
Lavoy