hydraulic pump adjust

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jbernd56
40C crawler
40C crawler

hydraulic pump adjust

Post by jbernd56 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:07 pm

I have a 40C and have very little downpressure on the blade. Is there any adjustment on the pump or bypass. Can the pump be rebuilt?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: hydraulic pump adjust

Post by Jim B » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:21 pm

Assuming you are talking about the cam driven pump mounted on the front of the engine. There is no adjustment on the pump. The control valve likely has a relief valve. Your service manual should give you information on how to check hydraulic pressure. Do you have a pressure gauge to check it with? I believe the pressure on a 40 was less than 1000 PSI, so a 2000 PSI gauge will be plenty. Adjusting the relief above the specification can destroy the pump. As far as rebuilding the pump, check with Lavoy. From what I gather parts are few and far between.

It is possible yours has a non JD blade, valve and cylinder(s) mounted on it. Do you know what brand and model blade you have? If it uses the JD tie rod cylinder(s) of that vintage it may need the piston cups in it replaced. It is possible for one side to be bad and not the other. Lavoy generally has the parts to repair those cylinders.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:47 am

Most likely the seals in the cylinders are bad.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Buckhorn
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Buckhorn » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:03 am

If you disconnect the hose on the rod end, and apply down pressure, there shouldn't be any fluid coming out of the cylinder.
Do one side at a time. Some cylinders are easier to rebuild than others. On my 420 the blade would drop after a few minutes, and the seals
were hard to find, so I bought new ones.
If you need new ones, I can PM you a link to where I got mine. Cheap price, and fast shipping.