1958 420C Holt Winch

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
theshanmand1!
430 crawler
430 crawler

1958 420C Holt Winch

Post by theshanmand1! » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:46 pm

Good morning to all!
Slept good last night after wrastling the 5/8 winch cable off the drum, that looked like it had been there since 58!
Drum was froze solid with the old cable on her, once removed, she works as should! Yeah!!!
Drained 80/90 & water out. Tried to get drain plug out, wont budge! Someone added a home made draw bar, trailer hitch & ball, bolted on the underside of winch using the 1/2” bolts from winch, they must have drilled the ones on the left side clean thru to the drum cavity because when i pulled them out she drained the rest of the gear oil! Tried to pull other side bolts, snap snap! Grade 5 from a bygone era! But was able to remove the cobbled on ball hitch. My plan now is to heat the boss around the drain plug and hopefully make it correct again. Then i will reinstall those two bolts with some type of adhesive as to not weep and stay for good. Anyone have some suggestions as what to use?
Then, after all the plumbing fittings are correct, fill her to the full plug opening, cap it off. Head to town for new cable!
It does have a nipple on the right side center of drum that turns with the drum, looks like maybe it was for a grease zerk? Anybody?
And i was able to find some numbers. Riveted plate, top, right side
Holt winch /serial number 49957 400-2
And right side of drum plate, stamped,
0-106 OR 0-406
If any one has any info on this winch, advice, suggestions of maybe where to research its existence? I have found nothing, zero! And that is hard to believe given Googles big brother search engine!
Any comment or input will help and thank you in advance!
yard dog
1958 4 Roller 4 speed Holt Blade Holt Winch
420 C
Industrial Yellow

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 1958 420C Holt Winch

Post by Jim B » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:09 pm

Good afternoon Shanon,

I expect you will get more views and possible help on this if you stay on the Early Models Board, where you started posting about this winch last Wednesday. As you see here it is buried down the list rather than at the top, as it would be on the other board when you make a new post or add to this one.

I have had good luck using Permatex Pipe joint Compound on bolt threads I wanted to seal, because they are open into a fluid cavity.
Jim

theshanmand1!
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by theshanmand1! » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:03 pm

Dadgummit, i did it again!
Thanks Jim, i have some gasoila compound that should do it!
Is there a way for me to copy & paste my post to the early model forum?
Thanks again
Shanon
yard dog
420 C
Industrial Yellow

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:03 pm

Hang tight and likely Lavoy will likely move it. I figured it wasn't where you wanted it and have reported it already. In the future if you want, you can ask him to move it when this happens. When you are logged in, at the upper right in the box your post is in you will see an "!" in a small box and another small box with (") quotation marks beside it. The "!" lets you report anyone's post if you see a problem with it, like being on the wrong Board. In a case like this, you can use that to ask him to move it saying it is off topic. There is also an area to put a note in asking for it to be moved if you want. No problem, Lavoy usually moves them when he see them.

Gasoila should be fine. If you don't want them to come out easily you could also clean and degrease it well and coat the cap screws and the housing threads with blue Loctite, just give it time to set up before adding the oil. 243 Loctite is more oil tolerant than 242. Either grade should work if you can get the threads clean. Just another option.
Jim

theshanmand1!
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by theshanmand1! » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:19 pm

Thank you so much Jim,
I appreciate the input & advice very much &
i will pay closer attention when i post.
Have a great day!
Shanon.
yard dog
420 C
Industrial Yellow