JD 440IC Gas Starter Issues

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
fabusch
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 440IC Gas Starter Issues

Post by fabusch » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:38 am

Hello all,

I have a John Deere 440IC Gas Loader that has been very reliable and a great machine. I am the second owner and overall it is in great condition. The one thing on it that I have had troubles with it has been the starter. It is still on the original 6V system. When I purchased it I had to clean the starter up to get it to engage the fly wheel ring gear. It seems like every few years I've had to remove the starter and clean it up, mainly the shaft the bendix rides on, otherwise it will just spin against the ring gear and not actually engage it.

Last year I put some hay forks on it and have been using it in the yard for stacking/loading trailers and it works great for this! It started easily every time and without question. I parked it in the barn before winter and removed the battery. Now I really need it again as I have a lot of hay to be moving but that bendix will not engage the fly wheel, it once again just spins against it. I took the starter apart and cleaned it up again, it was pretty dirty. I also bought a new battery to see if that was the issue, and it sounds like it is almost grabbing but the bendix won't engage the ring gear. I don't want to mess anything up with the ring gear so I decided to stop trying that for now.

So, my best guess is I probably need to rebuild the starter, correct? Does anyone else have any other thoughts or ideas? What else should I replace while I'm at this? From other topics I've seen relating to starters I know Lavoy has all the components, so I'll contact him once I have a plan.

Also, how hard of a job is it to rebuild the starter? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and feel confident I can complete most things, and I have a service manual, but is there anything tricky I need to be aware of?

Thanks!

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 440IC Gas Starter Issues

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:15 am

Add your location to your profile,,access is in the drop down box where you login....someone may be nearby for help

i usually took my starter to an automotive electric repair shop....the type of shop that works on starters...alternator, generators and carburetors..
some Deere dealers also have same type of shops as well..can be as simple as electrical contacts worn out or solenoid.
assume you still running 6 volt throughout??

fabusch
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: JD 440IC Gas Starter Issues

Post by fabusch » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:24 pm

I'm in Fruita, Colorado and I added that to my profile. Everything is still the original 6V system. I talked with Lavoy and he said it sounds like my starter is just plain wore out and he has the rebuild parts available, so I'm going to get those from him and try to rebuild it myself. From the information I can find it doesn't seem too difficult, I've found some videos for other tractors but the starters and components are pretty much the same.