Baffling Problem with Brand New Steering Clutches

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
fishingbucks
40C crawler
40C crawler

Baffling Problem with Brand New Steering Clutches

Post by fishingbucks » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:48 pm

Deere 1010c with brand new steering clutch kits purchased from Lavoy and installed and set per manual instructions by me. The first 30 minutes of operation everything worked beautifully then right side quit pulling and brake doesn’t work. Also, the main clutch started sticking all of a sudden and wouldn’t release after pressing in clutch for several seconds (crawler still pulling in gear with right side). I don’t think they are related but both started acting up at the same time after getting everything hot in the good ole Alabama Summer heat. Any thoughts? I haven’t taken off steering cover to inspect but I’m very confident I did everything correctly or it wouldn’t have worked as long as it did. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Baffling Problem with Brand New Steering Clutches

Post by Jim B » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:37 am

First thing is to call and talk with Lavoy. Anytime, one has a problem with new parts they should contact the vendor before doing anything else, besides checking their own work.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:01 am

After some use, brakes and clutches will require readjustment. New parts wear in more quickly, so expect more adjustments in the first 50 hours or so, then everything settles in more, and will require adjustment less often.
If you have a reverser machine, there is no engine clutch, but either way, the 2 would not be related.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:34 am

Also need to consider that the 60 years of wear and tear...does wonders for your adjustments!!! everything moves!

fishingbucks
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by fishingbucks » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:01 pm

Didn’t take it apart and not if I will again but I can tell for sure the brake band is toast by looking through the top. When I originally adjusted it worked great. Can’t believe I burnt it up in 30 minutes but I did. Still doesn’t explain in not pulling though.