separating a gearmatic 8a from its adaptor on a JD420

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
northwoodsguide
MC crawler
MC crawler

separating a gearmatic 8a from its adaptor on a JD420

Post by northwoodsguide » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:04 pm

I use a 1956 JD 420 with a tow behind arch to pull out firewood and about 5000 bd/ft of saw logs a year. My crawler has a gearmatic 8a winch on it that I have never used. When I bought it years ago, I knew the winch was not working but I have an old chain saw winch that got me by. I decided to finally rebuild the gearmatic but cannot get it separated from its adaptor plate. It looked like you simply had to remove 6 bolts, two hydraulic lines and pull/bull it out. I can get it to crack open and start to slide away from its adaptor but it sticks after a 1/4" of travel and I can not get it to part. I am worried about beating it too hard. I am using steel wedges (cold chisels) to wedge it apart but am not getting far and worried about cracking something. It is being held in place in some fashion by the shaft that connects adaptor assembly to winch. Has anyone every done this before or do you have any good ideas on how I should proceed with this?

One suggestion was that there is a lot of weight hanging on whatever connecting shaft joins the two and that weight is jamming the thing together. Yet, I can slide it a little ways off before it stops. I don't dare get too aggressive until I have a better idea of what is there. Any ideas?
JD 420c / 56 Willys utility truck/ 56 Willys CJ3B/ 49 Dodge pilothouse B10.
Located in Central Maine

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: separating a gearmatic 8a from its adaptor on a JD420

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:03 am

DO NOT wedge it apart, you will break the adapter housing.
Once all the bolts are removed, you need to shift the winch to the right to get the drive gear on the pinion shaft to clear the adapter housing, then it will come apart. Wiggle slowly, support the weight of the winch from above, keep it level if you can, it will come apart.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:15 pm

I see you got an answer from Lavoy. Send me your email for the 8a manual. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

northwoodsguide
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by northwoodsguide » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:06 am

Lavoy was dead right about the process here. I got my neighbor to use his front end loader to pick up the weight of the winch and it slid right out with no problem.
JD 420c / 56 Willys utility truck/ 56 Willys CJ3B/ 49 Dodge pilothouse B10.
Located in Central Maine