Throw out bearing adjustment on a 40c

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Simon_RW
MC crawler
MC crawler

Throw out bearing adjustment on a 40c

Post by Simon_RW » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:18 pm

Hi,

I have a 3 roller 40c and I am trying to understand how to adjust the throw out bearing for the right side steering clutch. In the manual it says I can use a speed wrench through the front opening and loosen the throw out bearing cap screw. I don’t have a front opening… anyone else have the same setup and could offer some advice about how to get to it?

Thanks!

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Throw out bearing adjustment on a 40c

Post by original possum » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:48 pm

The "front opening" is a barrel bung. Whatever you use to adjust, make sure you tape the 1/2" socket or otherwise secure it to the drive wrench so it doesn't accidentally pull ff and drop into the bottom of the housing.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Simon_RW
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Simon_RW » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:09 pm

Thanks, I don’t have a barrel plug, I only have the top plate where I can adjust the brake band. I’ve not done this before so I’m not 100% clear on where the cap screw is or what my angle of attack needs to be. Was hoping someone else has a similar setup and might even be able to make a little video of making the adjustment

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:46 am

The 40C Operator's manual I have, has pictures of both the barrel bung plug and reaching the throwout bearing set capscrew. What manual do you have? 3 rolls and no barrel bung opening in the housing sounds like an MC.

Simon_RW
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Simon_RW » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:30 am

I have the manuals for the 40 series which shows the same pictures you’ve shared. Maybe I need these pages from the MC manual

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:58 pm

The adjustment procedure is a bit different for the MC without the bung opening. Some Operator's Manuals are available, on the John Deere Technical Bookstores, to download at no cost, the MC Operator's Manual being one. For the 40MC Operator's manual, use this link to get to the JD AG Book Store.

https://techpubs.deere.com/

Click on the Equipment Publications Button to open the search page.
Enter MC in the search box. A dropdown list will appear, click on MC in the dropdown list. You should get another dropdown list. Click on the one that says Tractors Base Units. A list of available manuals for the MC tractor will appear. To the right side of the Operator's Manual box you have the choice to view the manual online or download it to save. Click on the arrow down with a line under it to download.

Is the serial number tag for your crawler on the left side of the engine clutch housing/torque tube? Lavoy, or someone can likely tell you for certain if some very early 40Cs 3 roll crawlers used the MC steering clutch housings or if the MC steering clutch housing will bolt up to a 40C. I admit I don't know that.

Simon_RW
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Simon_RW » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:09 pm

Thanks for the link. The operating manual has the exact process I was looking for to adjust the steering clutch. Unfortunately when I went to loosen the throw out bearing lock stud I snapped it off. Looks like I’ll be pulling the final drive off after all. Oops.

I don’t have a serial number anywhere, I’ve searched every inch of this machine. Does make me wonder what I will need to order if it has characteristics of a 40c and an MC.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:11 am

Look for 1/8" holes on the left side of the bell housing/torque tube for a 40C or low on the center of the dash panel for a MC.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:37 pm

Sounds like you have an MC.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com