MC Axle Problem

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Bob D
MC crawler
MC crawler

MC Axle Problem

Post by Bob D » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:34 pm

Hello All,
I bought a MC with the RH track thrown and a loose axle. I put the track on to get it home and it pulled and steered fine. When I got it in the shop I disassembled the rear drive expecting to see a bad bearing. Instead there as a brand new tapered outer bearing that appeared to be badly out of adjustment. I went ahead and updated the band and discs and put it back together. When I got to the axle it wouldn't tighten up but was loose like before. It's an older model machine with M805T hub and six splines (I think). The cone of the bearing is Timkin 368 (got a new one of those). The axle steps up in diameter from about 1.992" to 2.001" at about 2.25" from the back of the hub. The bearing is about 1.99" ID. I expected the outer bearing would press up to the step in diameter and stop allowing you to set the preload with the inner bearing. The OD of the shoulder seems to be too close to the ID of the bearing and under some moderate pressure the bearing rides over the step and the assembly is loose. I'm thinking I've either got the wrong bearing or that the hub end of the shaft is worn or turned down. Hoping someone knows the details to help me figure out if I'm doing this wrong or if I've got the wrong bearing or axle?

Thanks
Bob

fundytides
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: MC Axle Problem

Post by fundytides » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:54 pm

Don't know if I can help. All I have worked on is a 40c 4 roller. However, I do have a parts book for an MC. Looking at the diagram of the final drive, I see that there is a spacer (M210T) located on the axle inboard, or in the center, of the outer bearing. Is this spacer missing, worn or damaged? Don't know if this could cause the problem you are having but just a thought. Good luck
have 40c 4 roller crawler, 1927 Ford T Touring car, 1931 Ford A Roadster, 1951 Standard Vanguard Saloon. Never a dull moment!

Bob D
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: MC Axle Problem

Post by Bob D » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:57 pm

Thanks for your response. Yes, i've got the spacer and even got a second one to check the size. I noticed in the 40C section of the manual that it gives a measurement for how far to press the bearing onto the shaft. The MC section says assemble and tighten the bolts to put into position.