40c Steering Clutches

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
fundytides
440 crawler
440 crawler

40c Steering Clutches

Post by fundytides » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:27 am

Overhauled the left steering clutches several years ago and not much usage since. It sat outside for a couple of years and the steering clutches obviously got some water in them and stuck. I took it apart and things looked pretty good. Rust was only at the bottom of the clutch assembly. Took it all apart cleaned the clutches, gear splines and pressure plate and put it back together. Tried it before I put the sprocket and track back on and clutches still wouldn't release. If I pulled hard on the steering lever the tractor would stall. I backed off the bolt that synchronizes the clutch and brake so the throwout bearing was sure to move all the way but clutches would still not release. Going to take it apart again. I am starting to suspect that the pressure plate is stuck and not releasing even though the fingers are moving. Is this a possibility? Any other suggestions? I have the gauge for setting the fingers but have lost the instructions so not sure even which part of the gauge to use for this pressure plate vs the main clutch. Are the instructions on line? Thought I would check that while it is apart although everything worked well before, "Ran when parked" :(
have 40c 4 roller crawler, 1927 Ford T Touring car, 1931 Ford A Roadster, 1951 Standard Vanguard Saloon. Never a dull moment!

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: 40c Steering Clutches

Post by gus » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:58 am

Check thickness of the discs. They might have swelled due to the water on them.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:08 am

Pressure plate itself cannot "stick" so to speak. If the fingers are moving on the pressure plate, it should release pressure on the discs.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

fundytides
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by fundytides » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:52 am

Thanks Lavoy. I will check thickness when I get it apart.
have 40c 4 roller crawler, 1927 Ford T Touring car, 1931 Ford A Roadster, 1951 Standard Vanguard Saloon. Never a dull moment!

fundytides
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by fundytides » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:25 pm

Just an update on my progress with the stuck steering clutches. I took the final drive apart again and measured the thickness of the assembled pack and the individual discs. Lavoy was correct in suggesting that the fiber discs had swollen and their total thickness was not allowing the clutch to disengage even with the throwout bearing adjusted to it's outer limit. I dug out an old set of original discs that I had and cleaned those up and used them. Clutch seemed to disengage ok with the track jacked off the ground. Got the dozer back together today and took it out of the shop.
Clutches worked ok for steering so I put the blade against a large immoveable rock and tried to push it using the problematic side only. The clutch held well and would stall the tractor without slipping. I think I'll call this a success. See how it works this fall to twitch some large cedar trees in a rough rocky area. Thanks to Lavoy and others who offered suggestions and information. This forum is indispensable.