440 front idler

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
switchhappy
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 front idler

Post by switchhappy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:58 pm

how do u go about building up a front idler, one of mine are n good shape but the other one on the outside is pritty thin.. and it has 4 bolt pads. that means it has newer rails on it right? and last question is it has the gm desial motor n it, its been sitting for a year so how would be the brst way to go about starting this beast

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:58 pm

Hard to list what all I would do before starting without seeing it up close. It depends on how long it has been since it ran, how and where it has been stored, what was wrong before they stopped using it.
I think I would start by dropping the oil plug, look for water, diesel or antifreeze to make sure there are no internal leaks. Then, drop the oil filter and clean inside the cannister real well. Put in a new filter. (NAPA 1100 is what I use) If the oil looks OK, put the plug back in and fill it with 9 quarts of Delvac 1640, 40 wgt oil.
Then, drop the fuel filter. Replace with NAPA 3513 (WIX). Check the glass bowl under the fuel tank to make sure it is clean and free of water and other junk. Make sure the fuel is turned on at the bowl.
Check to see that it is full of antifreeze.
It should have a fuel shut off lever on it. The handle for it would typically be on the lower left of the dash pedestal. Pull it out to shut off the fuel, crank the engine over until you get about 35 -40 PSI of oil pressure on the oil pressure gauge. This will get fresh oil through the engine. If there is no oil pressure, do not start it, find out what is wrong first. If it sounds OK, no knocking, clicking, or strange noises, get ready to start it.
Release the fuel shut off lever, and move the throttle lever up between 1/4 and 1/2. Crank it over. It should begin to smoke if it is getting fuel. It depends on how cold it is as to how long it will take to start it, or if it will start at all. Some people use ether, I have never used it. If it is too cold to start it, it is too cold for me to be playing on it.
It should begin catching up in a little while. You can tell if it is trying to start by the sound and the smoke. Sometimes, you need to wiggle the throttle lever a little, change the setting, to get it to start.
The book says to not allow it to idle very long. Once it starts, run it at about 800 RPM to warm it up.
Let us know how it comes out.
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

switchhappy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by switchhappy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:36 pm

thanks.. they parked it a year ago and it was tour down this past summer for ring and pinion and the guy said it ran great.. just stoped and wouldent move, he is a macinic and sayed he couldent find the parts no were..lol to bad for him i found u all..lol but he promised me it ran great, i know the guy for a long wile and he is very trust worthy, it has new track and rear sprokets.. looks good except for one front idler is worn.. the other is new. and ill try n start it tommarw.. ill let u all know how it goes