2010 fuel line plumbing

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
rjdimaggio
40C crawler
40C crawler

2010 fuel line plumbing

Post by rjdimaggio » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:39 am

I posted a couple weeks back about a non starting issue. Since then I have tried to plumb all the fittings up with new stuff and had it running and pushed some dirt for 3 or 4 hours. Not all at one time, but over a couple days, which required starting. My primer pump failed and I substituted a push bulb type which seems to work until I can get another piston style pump. Well, when I was pushing some dirt up an incline (about 40 degrees) the engine slowed down and then stalled. I got it restarted, but now it won't keep running. I drained the tank to check for junk thinking that the severe angle stirred up something in the bottom.... didn't see any debris. I have tried bleeding, and it appears I have no restrictions from tank to filters and from filters to the injector pump. My question is this: In the parts book, it shows the leakoff hose going directly to the return port on the injector pump. I used to have that line and a line from the tank going to that return port when the engine quit working. I have read that the return on the injector pump is an outlet to the tank, not something supplying the pump. I don't understand why the leakoff would be plumbed into that return port. Can anyone shed some light on this?

rjdimaggio
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: 2010 fuel line plumbing

Post by rjdimaggio » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:27 pm

Update:
With the generous help from Diesel Jim, I tracked this down to a plugged return line. Deere's own parts manual (PC728, page 43) shows the leakoff hose going directly into the return port on the injector pump. I had it plumbed like that and it would run for 10-15 seconds and die. I also had another line going from the injector pump return port to the tank, but this line which was going thru a petcock was blocked . I reverted back to running the leakoff and return ports to the tank without this petcock and the little bugger started right up and kept running. Now I can go work on the ripper hoses that are pissing $35/gallon hydraulic fluid. Does it ever stop with these old crawlers?

jimmydiesel
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: 2010 fuel line plumbing

Post by jimmydiesel » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:22 pm

RJ
I enjoyed talking to you. Glad you were able to get your dozer running again. Never a dull moment when working with and on old dozers.
Steve
440 ICD 602 Blade 3Pt.hitch.
440 ICD 602 Blade Gearmatic winch.
440 ICD 604 6 way Blade Carco winch
440 ICD 831 Loader
440IC 831 Loader
1010c Diesel 612 6 Way Blade
North Central Washington State