2010C steer clutch replacement

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Combatmp29r
MC crawler
MC crawler

2010C steer clutch replacement

Post by Combatmp29r » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:06 am

Good Morning all.

I have a late (42001+) 2010 diesel crawler loader. It needs new steer clutches on both sides. I have read everything on here I could find on it. I helped replace clutches on our 350 dozer and Cat loader when I was a teenager, but that was a few decades ago now.

The only answer I haven't been able to find is do I need to remove the loader from the crawler, or will removing the lower cover plates on the Hyd Reservoir and Control valve housing give me enough room to remove the upper steer clutch housing? It looks to me like it will clear, but Id rather not put it in the shop block it up and find out it wont work. My shop isn't tall enough to get the excavator bucket and arm over the crawler and lift the loader off once its inside.

If it will work and I don't need to unhook the hydraulics and everything else that's the route I would prefer. Thanks in advance for any info

Joel

iowahill1
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: 2010C steer clutch replacement

Post by iowahill1 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:22 pm

I have an 820/2010C loader/backhoe s/n 43157 that I just pulled the final drive from. According to the manual and my own experience you'll have to pull the drive sprockets and final drive to get the clutch shaft out in order to free up the disks and steels. No other way that I can see. If you decide to go ahead I hope your job will be easier than mine was! I fought severe rust and a seized track rail that required slicing the top of the rear mount in order to free it. Good luck, -Tom
1981 Ford 555 Backhoe, 1976 International dump truck, 1950 Dodge dump truck, 1990 Link-Belt LS-4300 CII excavator, , Cat D4 7U dozer, John Deere 820/2010 track loader backhoe

"Not knowing what I'm doing has never been a deterrent!"