440ic hydraulic question

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
GalenB
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: 440ic hydraulic question

Post by GalenB » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:00 pm

Thanks Steve. I'll give that a shot once I get the parts and the cylinders together.

I got it running right. I'm not sure how, but I put the venturi in upside down last time I had it apart. Glaringly obvious once I dropped the bowl. Not going to lose sleep over my mistake, cause it seems to run good now. Need to fine tune it once I get it mobile again.

Thanks for the suggestion.

GalenB
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by GalenB » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:35 pm

I got my cylinders reassembled, flushed the system, and everything seems to be operating as far as hydraulics goes. I took it out for a little bit and tried to get the clutch to break loose, to no avail. Pushed a little dirt, and pushed against a small hedge tree with the clutch tied down. No luck, but I shook alot of rust loose inside the gas tank, so I'm going to have to clean that up.

I also learned I need to adjust the steering clutches....right turns right now, and left not so much.

jimmydiesel
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by jimmydiesel » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:04 pm

Good to hear the hydraulic problems are fixed-progress. The engine clutch must be badly rusted. Give it a few more try’s under full load.
440 ICD 602 Blade 3Pt.hitch.
440 ICD 602 Blade Gearmatic winch.
440 ICD 604 6 way Blade Carco winch
440 ICD 831 Loader
440IC 831 Loader
1010c Diesel 612 6 Way Blade
North Central Washington State

GalenB
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by GalenB » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:07 am

I pulled the fuel tank off yesterday, and the tank is not as rusted as I thought. Found a chunk of something in the sediment bulb inlet that was causing an intermittent partial blockage. I had that happen on a old AC tractor once, an oat hull bouncing around and would cause it to run starved for awhile, then it'd be fine. I probably should have just pulled this tank first thing, as I've done on several machines since that oat hull, but I've had a good run on fuel obstructions in recent years! Until now anyway...

With the tank off, I was able to pull the starter, and get a little better view. I tried soaking some brake parts cleaner in there, but the way these are built there's just not really any to get at it. I'll keep running it a off and on and see if it will break loose, and keep a strap holding the pedal down but I'm guessing I'll be pulling the engine.