420-c loader

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
sonny
40C crawler
40C crawler

420-c loader

Post by sonny » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:18 pm

Dont know how to post pix on this forum, but I just bought a 420-c loader with stuck motor which I finally got loose and been working on cleaning it up enough to try starting it.
I have no idea of the serial number of it. I looked but dont seam to be any tags or stampings on it anywhere. Anyway I got it too use and dont care about numbers.
Former owner put a complete new undercarriage on it then put it ni a shed where it sat for many years til I talked him out of it!
New to group, so go easy on me!!!! Thanks!!!

Canuck 420c
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: 420-c loader

Post by Canuck 420c » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:56 pm

What model of loader is it?.Alot of 420's had a model 90 John Deere crawler-loader on them.Some also had after market loaders on them
Nothing Crawls Like a Deere

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:32 pm

Lets get a little more info...where are you located?? The login drop down box lets you click on profile, you then add your location info to it and show up under your name in the posts..

I just bought a 420 w/loader, do not have it home yet so will be getting into it soon as can get t here

AND of course we already got snow on ground...yeck...*&^%#!

sonny
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sonny » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:05 pm

a couple pix of the 420. Got the motor running decent but now the clutch is stuck,--cant shift into any gear. clutch also makes a loud noise when you push it all the way down.
I assume the motor has to be taken out to even see the clutch?
It has had a TON of new parts put on it already and looks to be good. Grille is junk but hood is straight. also have front guard plate for it. No fenders, pto, or weights
anybody had one of these motors out?

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:41 pm

Your loader is different than what is on mine...mine is a 90 loader...if our pic server was up you could see pics of the blamed thing...You can read my ongoing saga of all that i am going thru on this booger...have yet to get to the left steering...been pounding away at the master pin to get'er out...looks like gonna need more oxy for the old fire wrench!...

and yes it means you have to pull the engine to get to the clutch area...will need clutch gauge to set new clutch..from Lavoy...owner of this site and i will also need one...my clutch is junk..literally clutch plate hanging loose inside pressure plate...mite be 5 or 6 in diameter piece.

sonny
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sonny » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:42 pm

Wonder if my clutch was scattered when the guy I got it from got it? He may have found that out and thats why he sold it to me cause he didnt want to get dirty hands working on it! LOL! Anyway I gotta start diggin into it and see what's up in there! I have a ton of use for this loader so whatever I need to do wont be a waste!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:52 am

That is a Greenville Steel Car Company/ATECO loader.
Noise in the clutch could be bad throwout bearing. As for clutch, not hard to do, done more than I can count, just put an engine back in one yesterday. I have clutch kits on hand. I would advise getting a parts and service manaul prior to tackling the job.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

sonny
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sonny » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:53 pm

He gave me some big thick books with the loader. Parts book gives a great idea of whats in there. The motor in this one looks to have been thru a machine shops hot tank cause the paint is gone off the block and head. Still paint on covers,pan,water pump, etc. plus it starts first piston up every time, no smoke, no blow by so I think its a near new re build.
I have a 420-W utility with a loader and hoe for it and They are Davis 100.
I see pix. of 420's with different loaders on them, but none exactly like mine! Thanks for the reply!

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:36 pm

Well would be interesting to see how is she coming along?

For info...i dropped bucket off mine and was able to get engine lift in between track to pull motor...after removing front end ..radiator etc...just be sure to have on solid floor and solid wood blocks for blocking up...if you have work on any steering brakes or clutches...am curious...how many button head zerks show up on your tracks...mine has zerks on inside and outside.
info i get should be 10 for 5 roller plus top rollers

sonny
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sonny » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:59 pm

Summer came and went here,---- never got the motor out to see what the clutch needs yet. Hope to drag it down the road to the neighbors shop this winter and work on it there. Shouldn't take long to get the motor out. Then see what the clutch needs and see if Lavoy has the parts! LOL!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:58 pm

Shouldn't be an issue.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com