2010 crawler track adjuster

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
agraves76
MC crawler
MC crawler

2010 crawler track adjuster

Post by agraves76 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:11 am

Thanks for approving me Lavoy!

My dad and I have a 2010 Crawler that we've been working on for the past year. Seemed like we got everything resolved but 100 yards into her voyage, grease started coming out of one of the track adjusters. My dad is double checking for me, but I THINK ours is a post 42000 serial number. We initially added more grease but it appeared to just come out of 2 tiny holes on the yolk end. (I will add pics as soon as I get them). We took the adjuster off and took it apart. I went ahead and ordered all of the seals for it, but this thing has us baffled as to how it works. There is an adjustment screw and under the screw is a ball. There is no spring to make it a check ball, so how in the world does it work? If you want to loosen your tracks, you back off the screw, but what does it do? release some of the grease by opening up a gap by the ball? If that's the case, why doesn't grease continue to leak out or are you suppose to tighten the adjustment back down after the tracks loosen?

Thanks for any help you can give. The simplest solution might be to order aftermarket adjusters from Lavoy :D

agraves76
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 2010 crawler track adjuster

Post by agraves76 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:56 pm

serial number is 37132

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 2010 crawler track adjuster

Post by Jim B » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:40 pm

It is not a check valve as such. The ball seals the hole. The set screw has to be tightened hard against it, then the locknut set to prevent the setscrew from backing off and releasing grease. To loosen the tracks, one just needs to back the setscrew off a bit to open the hole and release grease. The balls are often lost if the set screw is taken out and the ball gets out of the hole unnoticed in the grease being purged.