440ic engine removal/reverser question

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
GalenB
40C crawler
40C crawler

440ic engine removal/reverser question

Post by GalenB » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:49 am

It's cold here, too cold for me to want to work on the crawler or anything else outside. I have a stuck clutch, and I'm fairly certain I'll be pulling the engine sometime soon to free it up. I have the belly pan, hood, gas tank, and starter off right now for the other work I've been doing. The clutch housing had mice in it while it sat for a few years before I got it, and I'm sure that didn't help the clutch any. I've tried the various tricks of breaking it loose to no success.

Pulling it looks pretty straightforward, especially given I'm halfway there anyway. Can't imagine it's more than a couple hours at this point to pull the radiator, disconnect the hydraulics and remove the engine.

My reverser seems to work ok as I've been test driving it trying break the clutch loose and not damage anything in the process. It's noisy if its in reverse (the reverser, no the transmission; been running forward gears only, starting the engine in the gear and reverser position desired, not running reverser/reverse). Forward sounds "normal" to my ear. Reverser has good power, but has sounds that would make you wonder what the heck is going on in there. Kind of like if there was something loose, or bouncing around in there or something else inconsistent. I've read some old threads about noisy reversers. Do I pull the engine, free up and replace the clutch if needed, and ignore the reverser for now, or does this noise warrant further investigation?

Thanks for any advice.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 440ic engine removal/reverser question

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:36 pm

Here is the info that i believe you all need....if reverser is in question...i would certainly pull it while able to do so...if memory serves i believe that you do pull the reverser to get the engine out anyhow. Or at least is certainly more accessible.. Lavoy does have parts for repair.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:02 pm

If you pull the engine, you should check the reverser and transmission. Lavoy will have better idea, but one thought is the noise could still be in the transmission. You have to remember the reverser is ahead of the transmission so when in reverse it turns the transmission gearing backwards to when in forward. That would change the loading on bearings and gears in the transmission. If it is in the reverser, you want to repair it before a lot of damage is done.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:34 pm

You are that far, pull the reverser, you will regret it if you don't. While there, look at trans input bearing and seal.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com