420c tension rods

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Pocketfarmer
MC crawler
MC crawler

420c tension rods

Post by Pocketfarmer » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:05 pm

Hi, does anyone know if I can replace the tensioner/spring rods with commercial threaded rod? I have an early 420c that is showing its age and throws it’s worn out tracts more than I would like. The guy I bought it from put the rods on backwards so all the adjusting is on the back end. He also mangled them some . To be able to get at the inside nuts I cut the box end off a wrench , drilled a small hole and attached a long forked handle . This contraption allows me to pull on the nuts ,around all the dozer gear, a 1/4 turn at a time. I want to replace the rods and do the adjustment on the sprocket end. Thanks.
JD 750MFWD loader b-hoe,'37 L

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 420c tension rods

Post by Lavoy » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:22 pm

Not sure I 100% understand what you are asking. 420's adjust from the front, not the rear, no room to turn the spring around like a 40, so that really won't work.
Tracks are not run under tension, so springs don't really come into play as far as that issue.
Yes, you can replace the existing bolts with grade 5 Redi-rod.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Pocketfarmer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 420c tension rods

Post by Pocketfarmer » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:24 pm

The previous owner welded nuts onto the spring retaining rod to trap the idler assembly. All the extra rod and motion are at the back threw the “pad eye” cup thing and very inconvenient. Being able to use Redi-rod will make things much easier. I can just cut the old bad rod out instead of trying to save them. Thank you! Keep ‘em crawling.
JD 750MFWD loader b-hoe,'37 L