jd420 pics

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: jd420 pics..steering throw-out bearing carrier tube

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:09 pm

well that was something else again!
Tried Lavoys advice with vise grips clamped inside tube against cam...no such luck...looks like need large vise grips to get far enough back to carrier...nevertheless..perseverance works....i drilled hole thru both sides of tube stuck my drift pin thru and connected my pulley puller to top and bottom of tube against the tube and impact drilled the driving bolt of the puller enough to pull it off....and it needed that..

It appears that prior owner may well have used tailpipe tubing since it (CARRIER) was both jammed into the cam with the locking bolt sheared off and only way to get it off the carrier tube was to pull the entire cam assembly...repeatedly jamming entire assembly outward to where it finally came off...
Now...since that was off i needed to test the t/o carrier itself on the tube....and cannot get it to go on..measured it with calipers and appears to be oversize by at least 1 millimeter...so proceeded to get her out....
puller worked fine and did damage the one drilled hole...but it held enough to get it out

EDIT 5/20/23
Well folks got my new t/o carrier tube from Lavoy...it sure does make a difference. Measured the old one and it is just a slight difference ..less than 1 mm..larger...think it may well be out of round too. Now to get rest of parts and try to assemble what i can till parts arrive. Had to get carb rebuilt...butterfly shaft was too loose so they got new kit...and my old carb from the 440 dont fit...as intake tube goes to rear and 420s are front feed. probably could have switched bottom halves but dont need to. starter and generator been gone thru and refit so they ready. waiting on new radiator from N. Dakota too...that should be a lot prettier than what came off!!!..both tanks cracked and core rotten per radiator shop.

gotta go to tractor junk yard and see what can do for seating arrangement....

EDIT 6/27/23..
Well folks have hydreco valve and pump out...control valve needs lotsa work..NLA..suspect pump is same. will p.u. tomorrow, from hydraulic shop and track down numbers to see what can do....anyone nearby have good used for reasonable> LaVOY DOES NOT...is loader so pump on crank

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: jd420 pics

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:25 am

Well dagnabit...i am having trouble finding out what my engine throwout carrier return spring looks like so i can get one....machine did NOT have even a small bit of that anywhere in center housing...

also what gives with chasing my head bolt threads....these son of guns really testing me....got 2 of them chased with tap and rest are really fighting me.....see light rust but suspect all are stretched and blamed tap ....or weakling using it...can only go so far without backing out and trying some more and can only use wrench on the tap as have to remove tap wrench as both handles have crap in way without repositioning for another short turn...also afraid to use drill and break the dang tap and be screwed some more...

Actually can someone tell me if only dang thing i am having to do is actually stretch the threads back to proper lineup with the tap????...and do this slowly???

meanwhile can work on other small stuff until i get all proper parts needed before assembly can begin...

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:53 pm

Hi dtoots1,

Can Lavoy get you the right spring?

Sounds like you are having all kinds of fun with your project. Are you using a cutting/threading oil/fluid? Is the tap cutting out metal or just bringing out rust and crud? It should be just rust and crud. If it is cutting a lot of metal the threads were stretched or the tap is bad/wrong. How do the head bolts fit in the holes you have run your tap in?

I would get a new good quality (bottoming) tap if yours has had a fair amount of use. I have a set of Lisle sockets made to drive taps, so a ratchet can be used. Check out Lisle Tap Sockets on the web. Most auto parts stores can get them, if they don't stock them, or you can order from web sources. You can purchase some individual for the tap you are using (Tap shanks are pretty much standard for the tap size these days).

Keep plugging at it, you will win.
Jim

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:07 pm

Howdy Jim,

Good to hear from you...And YUP ya hit it correctly...My "China" Freight...tap was a DUD...got new one from TSC and cleaned up..

Hopefully Lavoy will have the rest that I need to get started on assembling, worst part is not knowing if blamed engine gonna be fine and run and hydraulic system work with what i have, only can try and see once back together....will probably just "engineer" a seating arrangement after assembly

EDIT>>7/12/23
I suspect the deep closed threads really a big difference versus shallow
Last edited by dtoots1 on Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:16 am

LAVOY,

While my left steering is out...how hard is it to replace the shaft seal?...can i get to it properly to remove and replace it from there or do I need inside the tranny?...I do not see any oil contamination but after getting new clutches in discretion, mite be needed here.. If easy enough to get to mite as well include that seal and any special tool needed to get to the blamed thing.

I do have HB slide hammer if that what it takes??

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:38 am

Not the most fun piece to remove, they are usually kind of rusted in place. You will have to pull the rear cover gasket to hold the ring gear on reassembly, so I always remove it, and try and tap on the quill from the inside out.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

sonny
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sonny » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:24 pm

gotta do something different for a seat on mine too! IF I ever get the motor out and a new clutch put in it. THEN hope the steering clutches work!! --- this was SUPOSED to be a ride and drive loader!! LOL!! I never was that lucky!

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:33 am

Was looking at seats on my cub cadet and jd mowers....they have flip forward seats...cadet has folding arm rests...they would appear to be a bit "dangerous" due to front end slams down over any slight rise....though possible to clip seat from flipping w/lockdown til needing flip...though will certainly need some kind of additional riser...

LAVOY,

Also i am wondering if you have a repair manual for the blamed thing? over 100000 series

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:16 am

Yes, I have a OEM service manual on hand, do you need parts as well?
Lavoy

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:31 pm

Lavoy,

May as well send both...gotta work on blamed thing.

as well as circlips for 2 master pins
Last edited by dtoots1 on Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:03 am

Will do.
Lavoy

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: jd420 pics..rt steering, final problem??

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:20 pm

Well folks, finally got a chance to look closer at my right final...where i find....grease/oil crud filling both the fill plug and drain plug for the final...just beneath the 2 bolt half moon shaped cover plate....
Now is that coming from my steering or hopefully just the gasket on the half moon cover??? I know one blamed thing...my luck sure isnt running to simple gasket replacements.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: jd420 pics/problem?

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:09 am

RE..previous post
Anyone got idea on the right steering? This is old, cruddy..dry now...filled the square holes in plugs etc.. stuff that looks like it may have come down from the half moon shaped cover plate...perhaps a bad gasket on cover plate? Cannot see above it as tranny just above...steering lever acts like everything hooked, but engine not in yet to actually check movement and steering etc

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: jd420 pics..ring gear

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:23 pm

Guys, just a heads up with bit of info....serial number 129803....took engine flywheel to my engine shop....had them switch the ring gear as couple teeth degraded.....they actually flipped in over and all teeth on that side are in good shape....seems these are actually made to be flipped....not just move 1/4 ways off of starting position...NICE

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:30 am

Once and a while you win.