Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: jd420 pics

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:50 am

Hi,

Dang! Double Post!

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:13 am

Well it aint no wonder why it aint got no shifter!!! for reverser!!
So an orignal...but itis a loader
we will see what happens
Thanks Guys

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:11 pm

Well Boys N Girls, & Lavoy...what say you???

I am trying to get this blamed thing out..have the 2 top nuts loosened up and out for a space...the 2 bottom bolts are moved out of the tranny and have webbing strap holding level...
problem is...has not moved out away from tranny even a crack...as long as this center housing is i would think it show something more than being tite against the tranny...

Onliest thing i can see is maybe the throwout assembly rusted to the splined shaft being a problem...i have to assume that it should slide right out of that assembly....i do have the clutch pedal some movement with the deadblow....both back and forth..not by hand/foot though...dang brake pedal seems to be solid and not moving for crap.

have rachet strap on front of housing pulling with the loader crossmember so have tension on the pull along with a bit of bumping with the deadblow for a bit of vibration....shaft and assembly have been continuously well lubed with pbblaster for past week

have a few pics to post later

well closer look shows me that there is a hole about the same size as the brake shaft from the pedal thru housing....no shaft appears to be poking thru ...i suppose they could be same housing as one with something in there?....once can get apart will see....that hole is directly behind the pedal mount.

tldec50
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by tldec50 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:16 pm

My crawler,40c has bushings that mate trans and torque tube together which are installed in the bolt holes the mount bolts go thru.could be corroded and stuck.There is a dowel pin thru the clutch shaft and trans input shaft that you can remove when you get it to move fwd about 3 0r 4 inches.Sounds like the rat oil has things really corroded up. Tim

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:15 pm

Take the starter out, rap on the back side of the center section with a large dead blow hammer, or a metal hammer against a block.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:29 am

well i got the throwout bearing and assy. that pushes it out....the cage that pushes it connected to the rod is still in there....cannot get to pull the pin here yet...i do have the pins out of the rods that connect the pedals to the steering brakes/clutch..
i see movement from front up and down a space as bottom bolts are out and away from tranny...nuts on top on end of the studs with about 3/4 inch away from housing.....

does the rod pin at the cage need to come out??? is there some kind of internal connection to the brake and tranny at that end??

also it appears that driveshaft may have a pin or something in it...is slight movement back and forth when pulling and pushing on it and a metallic sound when it stops

Starter is out

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:36 pm

Well folks.....got er loose..housing...critters had nest right over top of shaft at tranny so full of pissnvinegar....shaft sleeve does look like pin in at tranny end...but..literally it looks like both sides mite be shear off even with the shaft..drift pin measure about 1/4 inch down to touch on both sides of shaft.....lots of tapping on sleeve and pbblaster to it...wait a bit and maybe tomorrow??? Have not found any pin at front of sleeve as yet..bit hard to see just yet...at least it is soaking..

Only other option seems to be get brake and clutch pedals off side of housing and slide it carefully forward on shaft and lift/tilt front for clearance, then work on shaft....nothing else at tranny is connected....though i do NOT relish try to get those pedals off inside the frame...not sure enough clearance for either one....and the front end squeeze sure aint gonna let the pedals thru with the shaft in yet....

i was able to get a small opening at back end....used couple of wood shims in .....lots of wiggling and pounding with dead blow and rubber mallet with the rachet strap keeping tension on the front bell and finally popped a bit at the last minute....cross plate needed off...electric impact worked fine... so i have left it hanging and soaking.

by the way the 2 pins actually appear like a collar on the 2 top studs and are about 1/2 inch long

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:19 pm

So any other suggestions beside above>???

tldec50
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by tldec50 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:52 pm

The main driveshaft that splines into trans input has a roll pin or another type pin to keep the shaft from moving back and forth during use.remove that pin and shaft should move fwd to uncouple trans.then you should lift it up and out of frame.Rats nest above trans shaft has it rusted up pretty good. But Tim

tldec50
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by tldec50 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:22 pm

parts catalog says roll pin is 3/16x1 5/8.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:42 am

Just to help clarify for someone reading this in the future. The "pins" you mentioned on the top two studs at the transmission case to center frame joint are called hollow dowels and make a tight fit around the studs in the center frame to eliminate any play. This method of doweling saves making another complete set of holes in both components for solid dowel pins. And can be as much of a pain to get apart as solid dowel pins.

Keep slugging away on it, you are making progress.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:17 pm

If you are above 100,000 seraill number, there is a roll pin that holds the coupling to the input shaft. There is no pin through the shaft itself. That being said, the shaft will not prevent the centersection from coming off the transmission.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:49 am

Well the shaft itself won't ...but brake and clutch pedals will certainly be in way of pulling the center housing straight out...it would have to have a pretty good lift at the narrow end where bell housing bolts in..to clear pedals
it does not look to have good clearance to get pedals off..nor room to work on blamed things....hammer/pry etc..

will be back to it w/e..

And YES Jum the hollow dowels were what was actually frozen...holding

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:48 pm

OK Gents...center Housing is out!!..Man these critters were really packing it in....every crevice crammed and packed in tite...long screwdriver and lots of prying....brake an clutch shafts severely corroded...the small lever for clutch rod may well need replaced..clutch rod appears ok...may well need the old fire wrench to get booger apart..

And So it appears no one else has had to tear one of these center housing out?? I must be the lucky one to have to do this...Do any of you folks have a set of them brake and clutch shafts??? I am also gonna need the return spring that goes on the shaft to return clutch back to proper position when take foot off pedal as well as the spring for the throwout bearing return carrier..though the whole cage and carrrier mite be better option

I hope Mr. Lavoy has these parts available...i dont care if used

Got a pic of this thing on my engine lift...i had to put extension....trailer hitch in the end of lift to reach center of housing...worked to just had to be careful and raise enough for foot pedals to clear..not sure if can take those engine mount side panels out..they need cleaned and painted as well as loader crap behind them...think i like dozer better

tomorrow

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:46 am

OK folks....This danged shaft is really tough nut....I have used the old fire wrench on the sleeve...pulled on shaft with webb rachet strap..only thing that rally holds and straight pull...along with come along as well and literally pulled my webb strap apart with the come along...and no give whatsoever...been using pb blaster along with a bit of striking on the sleeve carefully..next i will have to build iron stand directly under the sleeve where i can put a bit more heavy handed hammering on the sleeve..without damaging the dang tranny...see if can knock crap loose..also have been able to hook up my harbor freight slide hammer...for some additional vibration...and still no joy..

seems i have no choice...this thing has got to come apart to work proper...

Mr. Lavoy...do you have any replacement parts that i will need if i have to cut these dang things apart??
Sleeve...and spring to go inside..pin for sleeve
also on the center section...the clutch hollow tube and the brake solid shaft along with the pivot piece to hook up the clutch rod ?
the pivot piece is quite rusted and would prefer to replace
also i see the throw-out cage that is used to move the throw-out bearing into the clutch fingers..may well need replaced..if can ever get the rod pin out

thanks
dtoots1