440 another engine question

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
smitty906
430 crawler
430 crawler

440 another engine question

Post by smitty906 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:31 pm

So i started to clean up a "rebuilt" engine recently and have found numerous issues .
Just cleaned block up for reassembly and noticed a couple areas in cylinder 1 that throw concern , the block is at .045
and it appears that i can feel a couple areas where i believe the piston was stuck at one time . One is near top of cylinder and other is around half way down cylinder. I was able to use a hone on a drill to remove the top area of concern but i can still feel the area half way down the cylinder.
It appered with the inside mic i was using i was at .004 clearance before using the drill hone. At what point is there too much clearance for concern , i would like to continue to hone out the area of concern but i dont want clearance issues.
At this point im ready to assemble as i really do not want to sleeve cylinders or rebore and have another set of new pistons to purchase.
I know the right thing to do but just looking for input .....any input appreciated .
Merry Christmas to all !!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 440 another engine question

Post by Jim B » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:58 am

You know bore, sleeve, new piston, etc. is the best answer.

What is your plan for its use? Is the spot smooth in that you can't catch a fingernail on it but can feel a smooth transition in ad out of a low spot? If a ring won't catch on it and break, you could run it. It might or might not use oil. Continued honing will oversize the whole bore and will be more likely lead to oil consumption. Engines have been reassembled and run for years with some pretty bad scoring in the cylinders before. I am sure back in the day many would have scuffed the bore with a glaze breaker to remove sharp edges, slapped rings on the pistons, put it back together, and run it. It comes down to how pure you want it and what you are comfortable with for risk and running. JMHO

Merry Christmas
Jim

smitty906
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by smitty906 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:20 am

Well i am restoring the tractor for use at our cabin , so it wont see 50 hrs a year.
There are no sharp edges , it is wierd almost like a wrinkle in the cylinder.
Thanks for the advice

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:40 am

Anything catch a fingernail if you drag your nails over it? With rings on the piston, do you even feel the spot if you run the piston up and down in the bore while moving the piston by holding the connecting rod?

smitty906
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by smitty906 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:39 am

No you cant catch a nail on it , just a slight raised ring half way around cylinder .
i will put rings on it tomorrow and try with piston on it.

Hurlbutt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Hurlbutt » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:42 pm

If you want to be artsy-craftsy you could put a plug just below to wrinkle and electroplate to build it up. Afterwards, use a Lisle 1500 hone to bring the area back out to match without introducing a conical shape. I think a battery charger, some acid for the solution and some donor material to match the bore material is all that the process needs. A plastic plug and silicone sealant might do it.
I wanted to try the process on a Chevy diesel I had that had a blown head gasket before I bought it. The block mating surface was eroded from being run with the blown head gasket so I couldn't keep a head gasket in it. since it was on the flat of the block I was going to use copper.
Bill