440 ring gear rivets

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
garthwayne
MC crawler
MC crawler

440 ring gear rivets

Post by garthwayne » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:28 am

hello everyone. i wanted to pick your noggins about repair or replacement options for the ring gear rivets. i have a couple ideas on this but want to see if anyone has tried any of these and had success.

i am currently working on rebuilding the rear end of my machine (440 dozer) and noticed that the ring gear is loose on the hub. it is still held tightish to the hub but the rivets are loose enough that the ring gear has some back and forth slop. none of the rivets appear to be damaged externally and the other bits are in appropriate shape for their age.

i thought about trying to re-press the rivets as they are using a press and a jig, but part of me worries about this since i don't know what the rivets look like internally
also, i considered drilling out the rivets, re-joining the hub and ring with bolts and drilling and pressing some pins to help handle the torquing of the gear and hub.

those were my from the bin ideas. re-riveting and just getting a useable ring and pinon set are also options.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 440 ring gear rivets

Post by Lavoy » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:35 am

If you are taking it apart, I would re-rivet it, hot riveting would be the best. Once it is loose, hitting the old rivets is not going to expand them back to fill the holes, it will take new ones to do that.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

garthwayne
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by garthwayne » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:09 pm

Lavoy wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:35 am
If you are taking it apart, I would re-rivet it, hot riveting would be the best. Once it is loose, hitting the old rivets is not going to expand them back to fill the holes, it will take new ones to do that.
Lavoy
thanks Lavoy.
do you have any information on what the correct rivets to use are? also, do you know what the setting pressure for them needs to be?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:12 am

I would order them from Deere, no way to know any specs otherwise.
Not sure what you mean by setting pressure.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com