Track Alignment on 40c 4 roller

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
fundytides
440 crawler
440 crawler

Track Alignment on 40c 4 roller

Post by fundytides » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:01 pm

I have recently done some work on my undercarriage-rollers, idler track chain etc. and now need to adjust my track alignment. I have both the JD Service Manual and the the JD Operator's Manual. I am a bit confused. The Service manual says "tighten adjusting nut on tension bolt at side of track frame that shows the most clearance between idler flange and track link". The Operators Manual says "turn adjusting nut on tension bolt clockwise on side which shows least clearance between link and idler flange." Is one of these a misprint or am I not understanding something? Any clarification would be appreciated.
have 40c 4 roller crawler, 1927 Ford T Touring car, 1931 Ford A Roadster, 1951 Standard Vanguard Saloon. Never a dull moment!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Track Alignment on 40c 4 roller

Post by Jim B » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:32 am

I believe tightening the nut on the side with the most clearance, which I would say pushes that side ahead, accomplishes the same thing as turning the nut clockwise, on the side with the least clearance, which should move the nut and idler bracket on that side, back towards the recoil spring.

fundytides
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Track Alignment on 40c 4 roller

Post by fundytides » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:08 am

OK. Through trial and error, I found that if I tighten the track (move the idler forward) on the side with the most clearance, that solves the problem. I did this with the tractor lifted on the side I was working on so I could run that track after each trial adjustment. I'll see what happens after I get it outside and working. If this is ok, I will probably have to make a final adjustment on the track tension by adjusting both brackets equally. The inner adjustment is hard to work on due to dozer arms. I have a crowfoot wrench which helps but still slow work.
have 40c 4 roller crawler, 1927 Ford T Touring car, 1931 Ford A Roadster, 1951 Standard Vanguard Saloon. Never a dull moment!