1010 crawler loader ignition

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
JAJ
420 crawler
420 crawler

1010 crawler loader ignition

Post by JAJ » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:29 pm

Need a little help reinstalling the distributor on my 1963 1010.
The tech book says to hold my thumb on the spark plug hole and turn the engine over until I feel pressure on my thumb (compression stroke).
Then, slowly continue rolling the engine over until #23 on the flywheel comes into alignment with the mark on the little timing window. I am having a major pain using the starter for this process.
Crawler doesn’t have PTO, no flywheel inspection cover (reverser equipped), Webster hydraulic pump on the front with no access to rotate by pry bar. Looks like removing the starter to get in to rotate flywheel with pry bar may work but very little space. Pulling the cowl, radiator and hydraulic pump to get at front of crank isn’t my idea of a good time either. The loader is completely removed at this time, I am pleased to say. Is there some easy way to accomplish this task? Or, should I quit wining and pull the front end apart??
Thank you for your help.
Jim Grands Rapids, MI

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 1010 crawler loader ignition

Post by Jim B » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:32 pm

Remove all 4 sparkplugs so you are not dealing with compression in any cylinder. You should be able to turn it with the fan, with the plugs out. Make sure the belt is tight and you might need to push in on the belt as well. Be sure to turn it in the correct rotation. If you want to get it close with the starter, feel for number four to come up on compression, you will be 360 degrees (one full revolution) out when #4 is TDC. 180 degrees more (half a rotation) and #2 will come up on compression. At that point about a half a rotation more #1 will be coming up on compression and the 23-degree timing mark should appear as you approach the full half rotation. If by chance you have the rocker cover off the valves on #4 will be on the rock when #1 is at TDC compression. I expect you know that if you go past the 23 mark you can back up but need to go aways beyond it, then go forward carefully to it to get the slack out of the gear train in the correct direction.

JAJ
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by JAJ » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:14 am

Jim B:
Thank you very much for your reply. I have tried turning the fan with all four plugs removed as you suggested with no luck. The pulley/belt just slipped. I will revisit that plan and increase the tension on the belt and give it a try. One thing I have not yet tried is to pull the crawler with it in gear. In your opinion would that work or would the reverser create issues somehow??
Again, thank you for your help.
Jim

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:16 am

I don't see pulling it as an easy way. Tighten the belt up. Then push in on it with one hand as you turn the fan if needed. It should turn if the plugs are out.

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:26 am

Might turn easier if you pull the plugs, squirt oil in and spin it a few times with the starter.

JAJ
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by JAJ » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:14 pm

Thank you JimB & Gus for your help. Tightened up the fan belt and squirted some oil in cylinders I’m done!! Awesome