440ic steering clutches

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
GalenB
40C crawler
40C crawler

440ic steering clutches

Post by GalenB » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:29 am

I have a 440ic that's been sitting for a decade that I just got going this summer and have been using a bit to see what all needs done. I have some steering clutch issues. The left clutch seems like its frozen, and the right seems like its slipping. When driving along it wants to gradually veer to the right. If on a steep incline it will want to turn to the right like the right side is slipping. When the left lever is pulled back it the clutch never disengages; seems like when I first got it, it was working minimally when I was towing it. The right lever seems to work ok,just slips under load but it'll turn on a dime. Brakes on both levers seem ok. So my thinking is the right clutch is slipping and the left clutch is probably rusted.

I just have a couple of questions:

1. Although probably futile, is there anything that might break the left clutch free short of disassembly?

2. Any way to tell what's causing the slipping with an inspection camera or anything?

3. How long would you estimate per side to disassemble for a first timer with decent mechanical skills? Just trying to budget time.

Thanks for any advice

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 440ic steering clutches

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:23 am

GalenB,

Welcome to the board...first thing is...do you have any manuals for it, if not contact Lavoy, owner of this site...he constantly works on these things and sells parts for them.

Now, to get into needs....first look thru the top cap and bung cap to visually inspect and see if there is oil, debri, rust or maybe even broken affecting....the small rocker arm that ACTUATES the brake assembly is known to break underneath so careful inspection is needed..
Mostly, adjustment is needed to get the things timed correctly, by following the adjustment procedures that are in the manual, and may require several repeat adjustments, since these critters are pretty old and have not been working to keep them clean, adjusted etc...

Example is..one of my brake bands had actually broken in half....rust had eaten away and a bit enthusiastic application of the lever finished it....It is a bit of a job to pull the steering assemblys...but most can do with hoist or other lifting assist. My 420c is currently apart and needs back together....i weigh 148lb and did left side of my old 440 myself..and never did work on any machine other than automobiles before...

Can upload pics via third party site as out pic server is currently not available..

Disassembly, will take a relatively short time....just be sure and take all bolts out..there are actually 2 hidden underneath the belly....and i believe belly pan on mine...had to remove it and the drawbar?..not sure...but do thourough inspection first to determine necessity of disassembly....also board mentions possible to break loose at time a stuck steering clutch by driving up against sturdy tree etc.....not sure on that tho...and do adjustment procedure as well before dismantling....

GalenB
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by GalenB » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. I pulled the bungs and tried to look in with a cheap usb inspection camera I have, but I couldn't really see anything much to tell me what might be wrong. It looked the like the throw-out bearing was doing its job about the same on both sides. I do have the operator and service manuals and I'll try the adjustment and see what's what. I watched a video on youtube of someone repairing a 59 440 crawler steering clutch which was very helpful in just seeing it all and it doesn't look too awful bad other than just the sheer weight of everything. Engine hoist looks like if not a must have, it would just make life a lot easier than other methods I use (tractor loader, chain hoist) for stuff like this.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:20 pm

Yes engine hoist most practical....though really needs a nice smooth floor...are a bit awkward....get crawler up on solid wood blocks or jackstands but watch placement for the lift legs...my 420 was actually put (glued) to tranny with red gasket sealer....I had to use wood shims all around the thing to get it to come loose...started with thin blade putty knife.....that does not require any gasket nor sealer.....simply spray a coat of paint on the mating surfaces...hollow dowel pins get driven out with a bolt threaded into the threads and hammer ....if they need out...

On my 440 always pulled the seat out and did adjustments thru the top plate....dang thing is heavy....do adjustments and testing while unit is up in air and on blocks...also...you will have to pull track apart to get the final (steering clutch assy.) and sprocket off...if adjustments do not fix.

GalenB
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by GalenB » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:09 pm

Thanks for the advice. I finally got time to sit down with the manual and take a look at the adjustments this evening. I'll take it out this weekend and see how it does but after adjusting both sides it seems like it working as it should. The left side throwout was too out too far before hitting the clutch fingers and the right sid was just a little too far against the fingers, causing it to slip a little. Both brakes and the brake/clutch sync and needed adjustments.

How often do these need adjusted? I wouldn't think very often, so maybe this was just a case of the previous owner not getting things adjusted quite right or maybe not getting things tight enough? Either way, I'm excited to try it out . Thanks again.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:46 am

After you get chance to run it a spell and get feel of it.....you will know when it needs adjustment again....at least adjustments do not "cost"...just your time and efforts...while it is up in air run it awhile and operate the steering on both sides to get familiar with feel....this may take several times to adjust since all connections work together and everything is worn after 70 years and rusted...

enjoy!!

Hulld
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Hulld » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:46 pm

GalenB

My 440ic was doing something similar.

Do your handles bounce back under spring tension when you hold the level 4” from the dash?

My right one does. My left one doesn’t.

I removed the seat and the brake adjuster covers. I found that my left brake lever shaft was froze/rusted where the bolt and jamb nut and the bracket that the adjuster touches.
I sprayed it with PB Blaster and got it moving. The longer it sits the better it gets.
1959 440IC with 6-way hydraulic blade.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:27 am

Hulld,

Seems I do recall my handles moving back kinda by themselves when released. As far as left one moving differently i would say probably that return spring got weakened over time....as it seems for some reason everyone uses that left brake more than the right one???? make note for future to replace when in there...good idea to replace all while there as well. Adjustments may well require several times to get everything to move as it should...as it happens it was my left side steering that needed work and brake band replaced.