420c carb & roller grease questions

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 420c carb & roller grease questions

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:29 am

Fallon,
Just a side note..my 420 c loader...has button head zerks on both sides of each track...i have found that only 1 side is supposedly the grease entry...??? i checked by taking zerk out greasing and sticking rod into it to see if grease only...met solid metal obstruction in that outside point...i have to assume the roller was placed in bassackwards????....dont see where would put dumb things inside when these require frequent greasing ..let me know what yours has..
still working on getting mine up and running...new wiring all around..no lights yet....soon to be ready to fire her up

Fallon
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Fallon » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:18 pm

I replaced all the "electronics" on the machine. Plugs, plug wires, rotor, cap, points, still no spark. Replaced the coil too & got spark. Got it to run for 5 seconds or so before it died. Still had spark, but I need to check the carb again. It was getting dark so I called it a night. Surprising amount of fire & sparks coming out the exhaust with no muffler on when it's nearly dark out.

Not bothering to grease the loader as those cylinders are all coming off once it's running again. Have the corn head grease & low pressure gun, but haven't gotten to greasing the rollers yet.
1956 JD 420c crawler loader
2016 Kubota L4060hstc

Fallon
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Fallon » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:35 pm

Tightened up the leaky petcock packing on the fuel separator then pulled the carb again. I didn't have the bowl tightened up enough and/or didn't have the float set quite correctly. At any rate it was dumping a bunch of gas. Got it back together & it fired right up. Took it for a joy ride. Hydraulics stopped working, but that was just low fluid. It's pretty much a steady stream out of one of the curl cylinders now, so that's now surprising. Topped things up a bit there.

Need to get the hood & muffler back on & figure out the 1 hold down screw I had to cut off. Probably should have something more than a zip tie holding the throttle linkage to the carb as well. Then tackle hydraulics & fluid changes.
1956 JD 420c crawler loader
2016 Kubota L4060hstc