1010C Compression Test Results

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Gclark
40C crawler
40C crawler

1010C Compression Test Results

Post by Gclark » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:13 pm

I have a 1010C that I am trying to resurrect. It has been sitting under a shed for several years.

I have not tried to run the engine yet, just checking everything out first.

Today I did a compression test. I got low numbers on two cylinders, so I squirted oil in each cylinder and redid the test.

I pasted the results below. I think this indicates worn rings on 2 and 4 and probably need valve adjustment on 4.

Compression test 11/30/23
1-110psi, squirted oil, 125psi
2-85psi, squirted oil, 135 psi
3-100psi, squirted oil, 140 psi
4- 55psi, squirted oil, 90 psi

Am I interpreting these results correctly? Any other suggestions?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 1010C Compression Test Results

Post by Jim B » Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:37 pm

You haven't said but I will guess this is a gas engine, not diesel. (Giving all the facts is important.)

You have some low cylinders, and it may need a ring job; or more. You say it has set for several years. I would make the attempt to get it running before going down the rebuild road. If you want to check the valve clearances do that; it will only cost some time and a rocker cover gasket to do that. I would want to get it moving and try things like steering before doing an engine overhaul. You may end up with a big expensive laundry list of repairs needed. Better to have an idea of what and the cost before you get much into it. JMHO

Gclark
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Gclark » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:00 am

It is a gasoline - forgot to mention that.

I am also thinking get it running and assess condition before getting too far in the weeds. Not sure what I may be getting into with steering and hydraulics.

The last time I saw it run several years ago I think the steering was working.

I did notice yesterday that the hydraulic reservoir is empty. Not sure what to do with that other than add hydraulic fluid and look for leaks. (Is multipurpose hydraulic fluid ok for this?)

I have just finished cleaning the gas tank, fuel bowl, and rebuilding the carburetor. There was rust in the tank and some gray mystery stuff in the fuel bowl.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:22 am

Multipurpose hydraulic fluid will be ok in the hydraulics. If you have a reverser, you only want to use a Type A equivalent transmission fluid or a premium Universal Transmission Hydraulic Fluid (UTHF) meeting the John Deere J20C specification (or JD Hy Gard). The reverser has wet clutches in it and needs the correct fluid for clutch life and performance,

Gclark
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Gclark » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:46 am

Thanks for replying.

No reverser on this one.

I will try putting the hydraulic fluid in and see what happens.