JD 440IC Steering Clutch Adjustment

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Hulld
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 440IC Steering Clutch Adjustment

Post by Hulld » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:35 pm

Hello

I have a 1959 John Deere 440IC with a 6 way hydraulic blade.

It sat for a number of years before I bought it. The left steering clutch was stuck when I loaded it. A few solid pulls on the left lever and it began working. I have used it about 25 hours and the left steering doesn’t work the way it should after about 30 minutes.

I have Service Manual SM-2023 (2-63) and I’m using to try to adjust the steering clutch.

On page 170-5-2 it states to loosen the lock nut on clutch and brake synchro set screw.
I did this and found out the steering lever shaft was frozen on the wide “U” shaped Brake lever. The manual says to pack this with with grease. I think the last time it was done is when it went down the assembly line in Dubuque in 1959.
I used some PB Blaster and got it moving rather freely. Not nearly as good as the right side is.

The next “adjustment” is the slotted nut on the brake band. I backed it off just to clean up the threads.

I moved the left steer lever out from 3 1/2” to 5” from the dash to give me my 1 1/2” of free play. I set the screw driver at the bottom to hold it.
The Manual says “Make sure that the throw out bearing is still contacting clutch fingers and tighten the throw out bearing cap screw securely.”

Mine throw out bearing is 1/4” from touching the clutch fingers. I have to move my steering lever a total of 5” before it contacts the clutch fingers.

Does this mean the discs in my clutch pack are worn out?
Or
Am I missing a step?

Thank you

I haven’t figured out how to upload pictures from my phone yet.
1959 440IC with 6-way hydraulic blade.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 440IC Steering Clutch Adjustment

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:53 am

Hulld,

Is your throwout bearing located to the point where the bolt and washer actually sets at the outer edge of the lip? if so and you are 1/4inch away from touching the fingers, then it may well be time to replace clutches/steels....make sure that the t/o is out as far as you can get and still tighten it down properly.....it does require the washer under the head of the bolt...also try setting the lever to pick up that 1/4 inch.

My 440 had new clutches and had to be set from 5 inchs out...believe max is like 5.5 inchs out.
I dont know when the 3 1/2 inches out would being to work???

My 420 has the same steering set up, i have yet to adjust with new clutches....once i get engine started i will need to get it set too. so will see where mine at...

Hulld
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Hulld » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:08 am

The throw out bearing carrier lock screw (bolt with washer) is all the way back in the slot of the cam.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:34 pm

This may be just a difference in terminology however "All the way back" on the throwout bearing means it is away from the pressure plate to me. All the way out would indicate it was at the outer end of the slot, towards the pressure plate, as dtoots1 is suggesting.

You have to use a third-party hosting site (like Imgur or PostImage) to post pictures from to this site.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:36 pm

Maybe I am missing something, but none of the measurements you state seem correct to me. Steering levers should be back 1 5/8" give or take to set the throwout bearing. Reread the manual carefully, it is likely just an adjustment error.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Hulld
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Hulld » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:54 am

Hello

The steering lever in its normal resting position towards the dash is 3 1/2”. The measurement is taken from above the switch and at the bottom of the rubber handle, as shown in the manual.

I then move the lever steering lever back towards the seat an additional 1 1/2” and set the screw driver in place. The measurement between the dash switch and the lever is 5”.

In this position, the throw out bearing just begins to move The bolt and washer that holds the throw out bearing is as far back into the slot as it can go. You actually have to move the steering lever back a bit further to get the 1/2” socket onto the bolt.

In this position, there is a huge gap between the throw out bearing and the “fingers” of the pressure plate. There is a 1/4” gap between the throw out bearing and the pressure plate fingers.

If I pull the steering lever back to the point the throw out bearing contacts the fingers on the pressure plate, the lever is 11” from the dash. This measurement is taken at the same location on the dash and steering lever the other measurements were taken.

The fingers on the pressure plate on the right side have a pronounced “J” shape where the throw out bearing makes contact.

The fingers on the pressure plate on the left side are mostly flat and had a little nub instead of a “J” shape where the throw out bearing makes contact.

Looking at the breakdown, to only way this makes sense to me is if the steering clutch plates are worn thin. This allows the worn pressure plate fingers to be “flatter”.

I added some pictures to my photo album in the John Deere Crawler Tractors FB page.
Last edited by Hulld on Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:34 am

If at 1 1/2" the throwout just begins to move outward, it is an adjustment issue with the connecting rod between the steering lever shaft and the throwout quill.
If the adjusting bolt is at the bottom of the slot (farthest away from the pressure plate), then yes, the discs are shot.
Unless you address the issue with the connecting link, you will never be able to adjust the clutch by the book, it is just not possible. You are going to have to pull the final drive off and fix that issue first.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Hulld
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Hulld » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:21 am

Lavoy

Thank you.

Do you sell the steering clutch / brake band kit or just the tool to set the pressure plate?

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:41 am

Hulld,
He is owner of this site and does sell everything that you will need to fix that issue,,,email postmaster@jdcrawlers.com...it is highly recommended to buy these clutchs from him..generics are known...junk

That is why it was asked yhe position in the slot..all the way in indicates worn..new will be right at the edge of slot..

Hulld
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Hulld » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:22 am

Thank you

Email sent

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:19 pm

Hulld,

Read about these teardowns in the different posts...my latest is a 420 where i just replace my left side steering brake and clutches...positioning machine, tracks, blocking etc..

my housing was literally glued with the red gasket sealer (permatex) and had to be worked clear around with a putty knife to get loose without breaking it.,by the way..proper is a coat of lacquer or paint...no gasket

just never know what you run into

Hulld
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Hulld » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:59 pm

I have it all apart. I think I used all of my gasket scrapers to get it slid apart.

There was a lot of dried mud in the bottom.
The steel plates were rusted. The pressure plate surface is rusted and gauled.

I’m going to guess someone installed a new cheap pressure plate and clutch pack and brake band but never set the clutch pressure plate correctly. The fingers of the pressure plate are pretty flat where they contact the throw out bearing, and it not from wear.