440 IC PARTS

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ironyetty
430 crawler
430 crawler

440 IC PARTS

Post by ironyetty » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:10 pm

I am looking for a 440 gas tank or any idea's to rig something up, also can't seem to find a rebuild kit for the carb. Can anyone help?

I just cleaned up the entire motor, cleaned carb, changed oil, replaced fuel lines and filters, put it back together and tried to fire it up with a 12 volt battery. For being a 6volt system I would have the thought the starter would have turned the motor over fast. However, the jumper cables seemed to get hot and the engine just barely turned over, do you think the starter is shot? I seemed to have a good connection with my cables and I could turn the motor by turning the fan by hand. I gave up as the day was getting late and the carb was leaking fuel from a worn out gasket. Anyone offer any suggestions?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Thanks in advance,
Ironyetty

switchhappy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by switchhappy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:28 pm

it sounds like your starter is draging, mabe u should take it off and have it checked or re-built for a 12 volt, it wold help to crank it faster.. just my two cents

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:30 pm

I should have a carb kit on hand.
Check your battery cable size, it should be at least #1 if not 1/0. Check your ground strap as well. It could be high amp draw on the starter, but usually the cables are at fault.
Lavoy

whybill
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by whybill » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:04 pm

If the battery in your crawler is flat and the jumper cables are carring the whole load they probably are not heavy enough even using 12volts....most jumper cables any more are only 6 gage and if you are lucky they mightt be 4 gage. not heavy enough to carry the whole load.....you would be better off to put a fresh battery in the crawler and go from there. Check the starter if it has been laying up for some time the critters may have moved in lol dosen[t hurt to clean it up also.

just a guess

Bill
Bill 420c dozer 5 roller

N. E. Alabama
older is better just keep it greased