MC Starter Weak, Replace or Rebuild?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
bbart
MC crawler
MC crawler

MC Starter Weak, Replace or Rebuild?

Post by bbart » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:42 pm

Pulled the starter on my MC and tried to fire it up on the bench. No response with 6 volt battery. And nothing with 6 volt charger. I did note tiny sparks upon contact. With 12 volt starter it did spin up, although kinda started out slowly. I had expected it to jump up to full speed pronto, but no. Bendix seems well lubricated, but never got enough torque to extend out. Teeth all look unworn.

So, are there places to can rebuild this thing? Or are there rebuild kits that aren't too complicated? Or are there reasonably priced refurbished units available?Image It is a Delco No. 1107064, and does NOT have a flange with two bolt holes as some illustrations seem to show.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: MC Starter Weak, Replace or Rebuild?

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:03 am

bbart,

Well best of my knowledge the older models including the 40.s were all without bolt holes....they used a cone shaped pin w/locknut to secure the starters....I took my 40s to a MaDeere shop...that had electrical shop....they literally went thru the thing and even changed out the lever...contact (copper) inside as it was worn out from years of constant starting...this shop was really nice...$5.00 to go thru it....
I now use an electric shop that repairs generators...starters...electric motors etc...also rebuilds carbs..and distributors....so look for that type of repair shop local or MaDeere....farm equipment or industrial..

by the way...if you were to intend to change system over to 12volt...the starter can be rebuilt and or changed over to12 volt..which does save the nose cone from breakage..(if using it without changing when having 12 volt system).my 40s wheeled does very well on the 6 volt system...however occaisionaly it misfires and bendix does not return and requires removal and manually moving the bendix back....believe that is caused by poor grounding at the starter itself.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:02 pm

I will not recommend you buy a "rebuild kit" off the internet. If you don't have the instructions and tools to recondition and test every component of your starter, you might end up with the same as you currently have even after you install the few parts in a kit. Your service manual should have a section on testing and rebuilding the starter to give you an idea of what is involved. If I was you, I would at least want an estimate of cost for repair of the starter from a local shop or two before looking for a replacement. I suggest you check around your area and find a shop that rebuilds starters, generators, alternators, etc. As for what is local to you, I can web search for starter and generator repair shops in Kent, WA and some show up. I can't check them out or give you a good suggestion as I am on the other side of the country. You can web search, ask at local parts stores or garages, equipment dealers or contractors that have some heavy equipment for suggestions of such shops in your area.

The Delco Remy 1107064 should not have a two bolt mounting. It is not safe to trust stock pictures in ads. If you decide to get a replacement contact Lavoy, the owner of this site, to see if he can help you out. I don't know if he sells rebuilt ones on an exchange basis or not. He prefers direct contact on parts needs, not posts in the forum or PMs. Call him at 701-361-1006 during CST business hours or send him a direct email: postmaster@jdcrawlers.com

There are a few members out your way. Hopefully some of them see this and might be able to point you to a good shop.

bbart
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by bbart » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:22 am

dtoots,

Wow - Lotta good info here. Thanks loads for sharing! We'll see how this all shakes out.

bbart

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:58 pm

I have starters in stock, normally stock rebuild parts, short on a few pieces right now.
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com