440ICD Oil Filter

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
macagahauto
MC crawler
MC crawler

440ICD Oil Filter

Post by macagahauto » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:29 am

New owner on a 440ICD with loader. Runs and moves. Got the belly pans off, it looks like a pretty solid unit. Replacing all hydraulic hoses and fluids, missing bolts, etc.. It will go to work on our TN property this summer.

I've found several old posts where people have "missing" oil filters. I find myself among those people. Governor housing is "toothed" at the rear as described in the parts manual as the "early" design. No oil filter housing is present on my machine. No remote filter installed either.

My question is... Is anyone running these units without a filter? By the looks of this machine, the filter has been missing for some time. im guessng it's been run for many hours without a filter. Oil drained from the unit was dirty, but no shiny bits came with it. Fill it with Delo 100 and let it rip, or install a remote mount unit?

Immediate follow up question.... I see the lines to the oil filter housing in the parts book. No idea of where they go in and out of the block. If I'm going to install a remote mount filter, I need some help with where those lines enter and exit the block. Anyone got pics they could share?

Thanks.

Mike P.

jimmydiesel
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: 440ICD Oil Filter

Post by jimmydiesel » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:32 pm

I took these pictures in January as I was disassembling a 2-53. The first picture shows the two oil filter lines connected to the block.
In the second picture the return line has been removed and the pressure line is still connected to the block.
This is a partial/bypass filter but is better than no filter.
Steve

440 ICD 602 Blade 3Pt.hitch.
440 ICD 602 Blade Gearmatic winch.
440 ICD 604 6 way Blade Carco winch
440 ICD 831 Loader
440IC 831 Loader
1010c Diesel 612 6 Way Blade
North Central Washington State

macagahauto
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by macagahauto » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:23 pm

Thank you for taking the time to post these photos. Just what I needed. Will post up a pic of my remote filter set up once I get it plumbed.

Mike P.

jimmydiesel
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by jimmydiesel » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:29 am

One of my crawlers had the canister oil filter replaced with a spin on type. The second picture shows how the filter has the restriction built into the filter.
440 ICD 602 Blade 3Pt.hitch.
440 ICD 602 Blade Gearmatic winch.
440 ICD 604 6 way Blade Carco winch
440 ICD 831 Loader
440IC 831 Loader
1010c Diesel 612 6 Way Blade
North Central Washington State

macagahauto
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by macagahauto » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:28 pm

Follow up post on filter mounting.

First action was trying to service the oil bath air filter. I quickly dropped the base a spread 1/2 quart of really nasty oil on the floor. I couldn't imagine retrieving the filter base if I had the belly pans on. The service interval is every ten hours and I'll drop it at least 63% of the time. Not for me... So I pulled the oil bath air cleaner, hung a spin on oil filter where the oil bath air cleaner used to be, built a bracket to firm up the air intake tube and hung a K&N air filter using the factory air intake tube.

Not smart enough to post pics or I'd put a few up.

Mike P.