Final drive gear/bearing keeper

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Detroitmike
MC crawler
MC crawler

Final drive gear/bearing keeper

Post by Detroitmike » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:27 am

Hi all,
I rescued a 440i from the scrap pile and after the planned engine rebuild and driving it 3 feet I discovered missing teeth on both the bull gear and the pinion on one final drive.

I'm still looking for a 13 tooth pinion M4440T but need your help with the 2 bolt keeper that hold the inner axle shaft bearing and bull gear on the large splined end of the massive axle shaft.

There are two 1/2" bolts so I figure about 60 ft-lbs but seeing the prior gear had 4 cracks out of the splines I though I had better ask.

Any tips or suggestions on the desired torque for these 2 keeper bolts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Final drive gear/bearing keeper

Post by Jim B » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:36 am

Welcome to the Boards.

I suggest you give Lavoy a call. He provides this site for our use. his business sells and repairs crawlers like your 440IC, if fact I think he has one in his shop now from things on his Facebook page. His phone number is 701-361-1006 during Central time zone business hours. He prefers calls or emails for such, not posts on here.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:55 am

He's working on a wheel tractor, not a crawler, I talked to him yesterday. Wheel tractor uses a one piece affair, can't use crawler pieces to fix it unfortunately.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Detroitmike
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Detroitmike » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:07 am

Thanks Jim and Lavoy. Yes sadly I am still searching for a final drive pinion for the wheel tractor I'm trying to get operational again.

I'm sure I will be back at Lavoy's doorstep soon with other part needs which ARE common between tractor and crawler.
Mike