440IC w/91 loader - possible to remove brake pedal?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
NEpilot
40C crawler
40C crawler

440IC w/91 loader - possible to remove brake pedal?

Post by NEpilot » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:59 pm

After getting her stuck over the tracks in mud my steering clutches were toast, ended up having to walk her back home about 800 feet 4 inches at a time with the bucket. Mind you this was after breaking several chains, straps, trees, and two snatch blocks! Makes a good reason to buy another one just in case I get stuck again. In the process of replacing everything it was time to deal with the broken ear on the brake pedal which connects to the right side final drive. This was broken some time ago by a random branch popping up and pushing through the floor bit with the holes, it narrowly missed my right shoulder and scared the hell out of me in what must be the most freak near-miss ever.

I would like to remove the pedal from the shaft so I can properly clean it all up and braze the broken ear back on the brake pedal so I can again have brakes. So I drive out the groov-pin and proceed to attempt brake pedal removal only to realize the part of the pedal that your foot presses on hits the chassis. I have removed the bolt and push rods on the left side in attempt to get enough brake shaft movement but no luck and I am not splitting the reverser to get to the internals.

It seems to be the 91-Loader frame prevents me from removing the damn pedal. It has reached the point where I'm either ready to drill a 1" hole in the chassis so the brake pedal can poke out enough to slide it off the shaft or chop off an inch of the brake pedal.

What am I missing? Is is possible to remove the brake pedal with a 91 Loader installed?
John Deere 440IC

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 440IC w/91 loader - possible to remove brake pedal?

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:56 am

Was it I, i would literally remove that 1 inch from the pedal and leave dam thing off..still enough room for foot to operate dang thing..my 420 would have the same issue on both pedals

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:21 am

Reasonably sure that pedal is cast steel, not cast iron. Drive the crawler up on some railroad ties, slide underneath and weld it in place.
Option 2, cut the part of the pedal your foot pushes on off in the center, remove the pedal, fix the pedal, weld the cutoff section back on.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

NEpilot
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by NEpilot » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:58 pm

You had me excited for a minute hoping it could be cast steel and I could just weld the tab back on. I just checked by both the grinder method and drilling on the broken tab, for sure it is cast iron so that sucks.

I'm going to cut off an inch of the brake pedal so I can get it off where I can do proper prep. Become fond of this Silicon Bronze MIG wire and have made several cast iron repairs with success.

Thank you for all the advice!
John Deere 440IC

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:30 am

Well crap, that sucks.
Lavoy

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:51 am

Well now we know..so where do you get silicon bronze mig wire?? just in case needed?

Also let us know if successful ...after foot test

jimmydiesel
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by jimmydiesel » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:09 pm

I could of course be wrong but I checked an extra pedal that I have and it looks like cast steel to me.
440 ICD 602 Blade 3Pt.hitch.
440 ICD 602 Blade Gearmatic winch.
440 ICD 604 6 way Blade Carco winch
440 ICD 831 Loader
440IC 831 Loader
1010c Diesel 612 6 Way Blade
North Central Washington State

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:46 am

Yeah, I think I have welded several over the years and thought they were cast steel.
Lavoy