what exactly do I have?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
TheGuise
MC crawler
MC crawler

what exactly do I have?

Post by TheGuise » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:06 pm

Hi Guys,
This is my first post here, though I've been reading through the posts for awhile.
I just acquired a 420c, used to be my wife's late great uncle's. His son-in-law bought the farm and didn't want the crawler but wanted it to stay in the family. Its currently not running, 5 years ago it just decided to not start in the middle of a job...... so I may have some work ahead of me....
Based on the posts about serial numbers, mine should be between 80,001 - 136,868, but the tag reads 12625. Is that a valid number? If not, is there another way to identify it?
I have an operators manual (OM-T20-1155) and a service manual (SM-2019). Is there any other manuals that I should be looking to acquire?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: what exactly do I have?

Post by Jim B » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:29 am

Welcome to the Boards.

The tag in your picture is not a JD model/serial number tag. The tag should be on the left side of the bell/clutch housing, is larger, and has the model and serial number along with more info. If you search John Deere 420 specs (ag tractor not lawn tractor) Tractor Data has a picture of a 420 tag, the 420C tag looks the same (except the model will be 420C).

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: what exactly do I have?

Post by Lavoy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:16 am

That is an inventory control tag like used at dealerships, municipalities and such to identify a piece of equipment. Look on the LH side of the center section between the sediment bowl, and the front of the transmission. If you have a tag, that is where it will be. You have an "all green" 1956 420, 80,001 and up serial number.
Welcome to the crawler club.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com