420 side frame mounting dowel

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

420 side frame mounting dowel

Post by ggfossen » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:00 pm

Lavoy,

On the 420 side frame, there is a hollow dowel used to attach the front of the side frame to the engine/trans housing.

What's the purpose of the dowel? Is the side frame to remain a bit loose at that point?

I ask because I'm missing one of the dowels. I'm in the process of making one, but, not having a lathe, it won't be precise. Besides, there's so much wear on the one I do have that I can't know what "precise" is. If I know the purpose of the dowel, I will be a little more confortable with where I might leave tollerance, and where I should not.

Thanks,

Gary

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:26 pm

Gary,
It should be a large shouldered bushing, tolerances need to be tight.
Lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:30 pm

Lavoy,

OK. That's what's on the other side, but it isn't probably as tight as it should be. I made one from a couple big nuts, some grinding, and a little welding. I'll make sure that one is snug, and I'll see what I can do about making the other one a little tighter than it is.

Thanks,

Gary

CCWKen
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by CCWKen » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:01 am

My 420 has one on the right side only. It appear to be a "stand-off" sleeve for the grille guard upper brace. I noticed that the frame moves at that point so the sleeve must have worn through the frame or someone just put a piece of pipe in there.

I'm still finding loose bolts on mine but I'm busy rewiring the dash and ignition. It ran but someone did a hack job to do it. :cry: New meters, tach cable and alternator are going in too.
JD420C, Ford 3910, IH 2606, Kenbota G32XKS

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:36 pm

CCWKen,

As I understand it, the hollow dowel is suppose to be a tight, or press, fit. The original that I have is no way a press fit, so it will take a little work. The one I built should work well, but I have to do a little more R&D on it. It appears that they are to be there with, or without the grill guard bars. Not sure of the reason for it. I think maybe they wanted more bearing surface for that attachment bolt? Something like that. Also may have somegthing to do with it being attached to that particular casting. There is much about the engineering that I don't understand.

For the one that I'm missing, there was simply a couple of loosely fitting washers. Ah, but I'm going to make it all better. Good thing I work cheap...for me, anyway.

Gary

CCWKen
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by CCWKen » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:21 pm

Have you replaced yours yet? Did you have to jack the engine up to relieve pressure on the mount? Seem to be a lot of weight depending on those four frame bolts. :shock:

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:50 am

CCWKen

Actually, I have the whole side frame off the machine. I don't know the proper procedure, but I blocked between the two cross frames, and the undersides of the engine/transmission. There is a substantial amount of weight on it. I haven't tried to put anything back together, yet, though, and that's when I will learn my lessons. I was a bit difficult to get the side frame forward, up, and free from the rear attaching points.

Gary

CCWKen
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by CCWKen » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:56 pm

I just made a new top right for mine today. I took a pice of 2" round stock and cut a relief (3/8") to a diameter of 1 1/2. I then bored it to 3/4" for the bolt. This fits through the frame and into the trans housing dowel relief. Drawing down the bolt tightens the frame against the housing.

I still have the front grille and radiator off. I had to remove the broken allen set screw from the fan hub. :cry: After cleaning years of grease and grime I found a "newer" hydraulic pump. I hope to be putting mine to work this weekend!

CCWKen
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by CCWKen » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:57 pm

Ops... Deleted double post. Stinking dial-up! :lol:

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:54 pm

I used a couple of nuts, ground one to fit inside the other, and welded them together. A bit more grinding, and they seem to do as they should.

I, too, found an industrial yellow hydro pump on my 420. I recently found that my brother apparently did a lot of the more recent repair work. He's been gone a long time, though, so I can't really find out any details.

I finally have the right side apart as far as I'm going to. Tomorrow, I will do a little painting, and start putting that side back together. Then on to the left side. I'm debating on pulling the radiator. It probably doesn't have to come off, so I probably won't.

We also have dial-up, and too far out to expect anything better in the near future. The country is too steep and crooked for any hope of line-of-site. Otherwise, a fine place to be.

nite Gary